This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The ability of antibodies generated by the vaccine Pr-β-HCG-TT in two species of animals to neutralize the biological activity of HCG has been investigated. The antisera from an immunized goat and serveral rhesus monkeys () abolished the HCG induced rise in ventral prostate weight of immature male rats and of uterine weight in prepubertal mice. These were also found to be effective in preventing the binding of 125I-HCG to receptors in rat testes and goat corpora lutea preparations. The antisera also blocked the HCG induced synthesis and secretion of progesterone in corpus luteum slices . These investigations show that the antibodies elicited by the conjugate (Pr-β-HCG-TT) form a complex with HCG, which is biologically inactive.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Immunological studies with synthetic polypeptides.Advan. Immunol. 1966; 5: 29
- Absence of neutralizing effect of antisera to the unique structural region of human chorionic gonadotropin.J. Clin. Endocrinol. 1974; 39: 1155
- Biological effects of anti-HCG sera.in: Talwar G.P. Proceedings of Symposium on Regulation of Growth and Differentiated Function in Eukaryote Cells. Raven Press, New York1975: 533
- The estimation of chorionic gonadotropin in the urine of pregnant women.J. Endocrinol. 1950; 6: 319
- Statistical method in biological assay.in: Charles Griffin & Co., Ltd, London1964: 370
- The quantitative assay of ‘follicle stimulating’ substances.Endocrinol. 1937; 21: 619
- Radioligand receptor assay of luteinizing hormone and chorionic gonadotropin.J. Clin. Endocr. 1972; 34: 123
- Studies on the mechanism of action of LH.in: Moudgal N.R. Gonadotropins and gonadal functions. Academic Press, 1974: 391
- Neutralizing and non-neutralizing antibodies to bovine thyroid stimulating hormone and its subunits.J. Clin. Invest. 1973; 52: 2979
- Effect of 5-methoxytryptophol and melatonin on uterine weight responses to human chorionic gonadotropin.J. Endocrinol. 1970; 48: 287
Accepted: October 20, 1975
© 1976 Published by Elsevier Inc.