This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Ten doses of 7.5mg Anordrin were administered on alternate days from day 5 of the menstrual cycle to 20 women. Serum concentrations of both SHBG and CP were significantly increased after the fourth dose but the increases were minor compared to those produced by ethynyloestradiol. Two weeks after stopping Anordrin, serum concentrations of the proteins were still elevated in most women. Ovarian activity was studied in 8 women; serum oestradiol and progesterone concentrations indicated that ovulation occurred at the normal time in three women but was delayed for two weeks or more in the remaining five. The findings suggest that in humans, Anordrin acts as a weak oestrogen and may also have antioestrogenic activity.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Steroids on implantation of fertilised eggs.in: Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med.111. 1962: 595-603
- Effects of Anordrin and its analogue on antifertility.Contraception. 1985; 32: 301-309
- Pharmacological studies of a contraceptive drug Anordrin.Scientica Sinica. 1975; 18: 262-270
- Antiestrogenic and antifertility action of Anordrin.Steroids. 1981; 38: 679-691
- Antagonism of the actions of estrogens, androgens and progesterone by Anordrin.Steroids. 1982; 40: 65-80
- Clinical observation of postcoital pill: Anordrin.Chinese Med. J. 1977; 57: 618-620
- Sex hormone binding globulin : its relevance to oral contraception.Br.J.Fam.Plan.Suppl. 1984; 10: 26-33
- A metabolic assessment of different oral contraceptives.J. Obstet. Gynaecol. 1983; 3: S77-S82
- Simplified method for the quantitative determination of SHBG in plasma.J.Clin.Endocrinol.Metab. 1972; 34: 983-988
- Measurement of caeruloplasmin in serum.Clin.Chem. 1974; 20: 1556-1563
- A pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study of a ‘visiting pill’ containing norethisterone.Contraception. 1986; 34: 269-282
- Effect of contraceptive steroids on serum levels of SHBG and caeruloplasmin.Curr.Med.Res.Opin. 1981; 7: 185-191
- Plasma progesterone levels in normal and pregnant Chinese women and the effects of some contraceptives.Chinese Med.J. 1980; 93: 523-527
Accepted: October 28, 1987
Received: September 23, 1987
© 1987 Published by Elsevier Inc.