This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
A method based on HPLC was devised for the estimation of RU 486 in blood and utilised to study the pharmacokinetics of a single dose of 50 mg RU 486 administered orally to 12 women on day 7 of the cycle. The dose was rapidly absorbed with peak plasma concentration between 1 and 2 hours. Distribution was also rapid (mean tα: 1.4h), whereas elimination was slow (mean tβ: 28.3 h). RU 486 was still detectable in some women at 72 h after administration. The plasma concentrations fitted the equation for a two-compartment open model from which the pharmacokinetic parameters were calculated. The mean total plasma clearance was 3.0 1/h, and the comparison of our data with those published studies suggests that the pharmacokinetics of RU 486 in Chinese women are similar to those of other populations.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- RU 486: an antiprogestin steroid with contragestive activity in women.in: Baulieu EE Segal SJ The antiprogestin steroid RU 486 and human fertility control. Plenum Press, New York1985: 1-25
- Effet d'unstéroide anti-progestérone chez la femme: interruption du cycle menstruel et de la grossesse au début.CR Acad Sci (Paris). 1982; 294: 933-938
- Termination of very early pregnancy by RU 486 -an antiprogestational compound.Contraception. 1984; 29: 399-410
- Termination of early gestation with the anti-progestin steroid RU 486: medium versus low dose.Contraception. 1987; 35: 307-321
- Early pregnancy termination with antiprogestins: a comparative clinical study of RU 486 given in two dose regimens and Epostane.Fertil Steril. 1987; 48: 565-570
- Antiprogestational steroids: a new dimension in human fertility regulation.in: 8 Aufl. Oxford Reviews of Reproductive Biology. Vol. 11. Oxford University Press, Oxford1989 (in press)
- High performance liquid chromatographic determination of RU 486 in human plasma.Chin J Chromatogr. 1987; 3: 179-182
- Pharmacokinetics of RU 486.in: Baulieu EE Segal SJ The antiprogestin steroid RU 486 and human fertility control. Plenum Press, New York1985: 103-122
- Pharmacokinetic and clinical studies of RU 486 for fertility regulation.in: Baulieu EE Segal SJ The antiprogestin steroid RU 486 and human fertility control. Plenum Press, New York1985: 249-258
- Quantitation of RU 486 in human plasma by HPLC and RIA after column chromatography.Contraception. 1986; 34: 613-624
- Plasma concentrations and receptor binding of RU 486 and its metabolites in humans.J Steroid Biochem. 1987; 26: 279-284
- Pharmacokinetic properties of the antiglucocorticoid and antiprogesterone steroid RU 486 in man.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1987; 241: 401-406
- Pharmacokinetics and metabolism of RU 486.J Steroid Biochem. 1987; 27: 859-863
- Pharmacodynamics of the antiprogesterone RU486 in women after oral administration.Fertil Steril. 1988; 50: 245-249
- Pharmacokinetics of the antiprogesterone RU 486 in women during multiple dose administration.J Steroid Biochem. 1989; 32: 21-25
- Pregnancy interruption with RU 486 in combination with dl-15-methyl-prostaglandin F2α methyl ester: the Chinese experience.Contraception. 1988; 38: 675-683
- Metabolism and serum binding of RU 486 in women after various single doses.Hum Reprod. 1987; 2: 379-385
Accepted: June 28, 1989
Received: May 25, 1989
© 1989 Published by Elsevier Inc.