This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The use of gemeprost (16, 16-dimethyl-trans- Δ2-PGE1 methyl ester) vaginal pessaries for the termination of pregnancy in the late second trimester has been investigated in an open single-center study. Of 56 nulliparous women between 18 and 22 weeks amenorrhoea, 33 (58.9%) aborted after the administration of 1 mg gemeprost pessaries; 5 women did abort after 3 doses, 10 after 4 doses and 18 after 5 doses. There was no statistical correlation between gestational age and abortion. The mean induction-abortion interval was 15.2 hrs (range 8.5–20.3 hrs). There were no serious complications. The safe induction of therapeutic abortion in 58.9% of women using vaginal gemeprost pessaries alone offers an acceptable alternative to surgical evacuation in the late second trimester but should not be started without the possibility to terminate the procedure by dilatation and evacuation (D + E).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Therapeutic abortion using prostaglandin F2α.Lancet. 1970; I: 157-159
- Induction of abortion by vaginal administration of 15(S)15-methyl prostaglandin F2α methyl ester. A comparison of two delivery systems.Prostaglandins. 1976; 12
- Vaginally administered 16,16-dimethyl-PGE1 for induction of midtrimester abortion.Prostaglandins. 1976; 11: 123-132
- Therapeutic abortion and induction of labour by intravaginal administration of prostaglandin E2 and F2α.J Obstet Gynaecol Br Commonw. 1971; 78: 294-299
- Prostaglandin E2 vaginal suppository as an early second trimester abortifacient.Obstet Gynecol. 1974; 43: 104-108
- Administration of prostaglandins by various routes for induction of abortion. Merits and demerits.Prostaglandins. 1978; 4: 685
- Termination of early pregnancy by ONO-802 (16,16-dimethyl-trans- Δ2 — PGE1 methyl ester).Prostaglandins. 1977; 14: 791-798
- Termination of early pregnancy by ONO-802 suppositories (16,16-dimethyl-trans- Δ2-PGE1 methyl ester).Prostaglandins. 1978; 15: 913-919
- Preoperative cervical dilatation by vaginal pessaries containing prostaglandin El analogue.Obstet Gynecol. 1983; 62: 339-342
- Cervical dilatation with 16,16-dimethyl-trans- Δ2 -PGE1 methyl ester (Cervagem) prior to vacuum aspiration. A double-blind, placebo- controlled randomized study.Contraception. 1984; 29: 457-464
- Controlled study of 16,16- dimethyl-trans- Δ2 -PGE1 methyl ester vaginal pessaries prior to suction termination of first trimester pregnancies.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1984; 91: 1141-1144
- Preoperative cervical dilatation in termination of first trimester pregnancies using 16,16-dimethyl-trans-Δ2-PGEl methyl ester vaginal pessaries.Contraception. 1983; 27: 339-346
- The use of 16,16-dimethyl-trans- Δ2 -PGE1 methyl ester (ONO-802) vaginal suppositories for termination of early pregnancy. A comparative study.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1980; 87: 712-717
- Cervical dilatation with 16,16-dimethyl-trans- Δ2 -PGE1 methyl ester vaginal pessaries before surgical termination of first trimester pregnancies.Obstet Gynecol. 1982; 89: 849-852
- The use of 16,16-dimethyl-trans-Δ2-PGE1 methyl ester (gemeprost) vaginal suppositories for the termination of pregnancy in the early second trimester. A comparison with extra-amniotic prostaglandin E2.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1984; 91: 1136-1140
- Prostaglandin-induced pregnancy termination: further studies using gemeprost (16,16-dimethyl-trans-Δ2-PGE1 methyl ester) vaginal pessaries in the early second trimester.Prostaglandin. 1987; 34: 111-117
- The abortifacient effect of 16,16-dimethyl-trans-Δ2-PGEl methyl ester, a new prostaglandin analogue, on mid-trimester pregnancies and long-term follow-up observations.Prostaglandins. 1982; 23: 591-601
- Abortifacient effect and uterine cervix-dilating action of 16,16- dimethyl-trans-Δ2PGEl methyl ester (ONO-802) in the form of a vaginal suppository. A randomized, double-blind, controlled study in the second trimester of pregnancy.Prostaglandins Leukotrienes Med. 1982; 9: 349-361
Accepted: April 4, 1990
Received: October 16, 1989
© 1990 Published by Elsevier Inc.