This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This paper addresses itself to comparing the findings from more recent studies on the termination of early pregnancy in women by a medical method involving a combination of RU486 and gemeprost (a PGE1 analog which is administered as a vaginal pessary) or RU486 and misoprostol (an orally active PGE1 analog). In particular, the data in these studies relating to (i) time to expulsion of the conceptus and (ii) duration of vaginal bleeding have been compared by statistical tests. It was shown that the shortest time to expulsion after PGE1 was when gemeprost was administered at 48hr following RU486. There was also an increased duration of bleeding with this treatment. These findings are discussed in relation to women's attitudes toward abortion methods especially in regard to preferring a decreased induction-abortion interval and a duration of bleeding of less than 14 days.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mifepristone (RU486) alone or in combination with a prostaglandin analogue for termination of early pregnancy: a review.Fert Steril. 1991; 56: 385-393
- Early termination of pregnancy with mifepristone (RU 486) and the orally active prostaglandin misoprostol.N Eng J Med. 1993; 328: 1509-1513
- Voluntary interruption of pregnancy with mifepristone (RU 486) and a prostaglandin analogue.N Eng J Med. 1990; 322: 645-648
- Medical termination of early pregnancy with mifepristone (RU 486) followed by a prostaglandin analogue.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1992; 71: 278-283
- The efficacy and tolerance of mifepristone and prostaglandin in first trimester termination of pregnancy.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1990; 97: 480-486
- The efficacy of oral mifepristone (RU 38,486) with a prostaglandin E1 analog vaginal pessary for the termination of early pregnancy: Complications and patient acceptability.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 162: 414-417
- Medical abortion in women of ≤ 56 days amenorrhoea: a comparison between gemeprost (a PGE1 analogue) alone and mifepristone and gemeprost.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1992; 99: 601-606
- Induction of early abortion with mifepristone (RU486) and two different doses of prostaglandin pessary (gemeprost).Contraception. 1989; 39: 497-502
- Induction of therapeutic abortion in early pregnancy with mifepristone in combination with prostaglandin pessary.Lancet. 1987; ii: 1415-1418
- Pregnancy termination with mifepristone and gemeprost: a multicenter comparison between repeated doses and a single dose of mifepristone.Fert Steril. 1991; 56: 32-40
- Activite contragestive de l'association au RU486 d'une prostaglandine active par voie orale.C R Acad Sci Paris Ser III. 1991; 312: 539-545
- Early pregnancy termination: a comparison between vacuum aspiration and medical abortion using prostaglandin (16,16 dimethyl -trans-δ2-PGE1 methyl ester) or the antiprogestogen RU 486.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1988; 95: 271-276
- Induction of abortion with mifepristone and misoprostol in early pregnancy.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1992; 99: 1004-1007
- Women's evaluation of three early abortion methods.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1992; 71: 616-623
- What do women want during medical abortion?.Contraception. 1992; 46: 435-442
- A pilot study of acceptability of RU486 and ONO 802 in a Chinese population.Contraception. 1991; 44: 523-532
- Blood loss in termination of early pregnancy by vacuum aspiration and by combination of mifepristone and gemeprost.Contraception. 1993; 47: 85-95
Accepted: April 14, 1994
Received: September 7, 1993
© 1994 Published by Elsevier Inc.