This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Fibronectin from human early pregnancy (5–8 weeks) placenta (epFN) has been isolated by 2M urea-PBS extraction and purified by heparindashSepharose 4B affinity chromatography followed by Sepha-rose CL-6B gel filtration, and compared with that of term placenta (tpFN). According to the analysis on SDS-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE) and Westerndashblots, epFN was similar to tpFN; both are composed of two 250 KD subunits, larger than 220 KD subunits of plasma fibronectin (pFN). They reacted with antibodies against pFN and monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) raised against three mainly functional domains of amniotic fluid fibronectin (amFN), respectively.
However, the affinity of epFN with mAb against heparindashbinding domain was stronger than that with mAb against gelatindashbinding domain; this phenomenon could not be observed with tpFN and pFN. The results of lectindashbinding capacity indicated that epFN was not only distinct from pFN but also from tpFN on its carbohydrate composition. We also found there were much more Fndashbinding proteins in early placenta than in term placenta. The significance of these results are discussed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fibronectin.Methods in Enzymology. 1982; 82: 803-852
- Fibronectin.in: Biology of extracellular matrix, A series. Academic Press Inc,, London1989: 474
- Fibronectins.in: Molecular biology. Springa-Varlay,, New York1990: 564
- Recent advance in understanding the process of implantation.Curr Opinion Obst Gynec. 1990; 2: 703-708
- Effects of fibronectin and its peptide fragment on preimplantation mouse embryo.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1989; 160: 724-728
- Fibronectin and laminin in the early human placenta.Placenta. 1990; 11: 223-231
- Changes in the distribution of fibronectin in the placenta during normal human pregnancy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1985; 152: 715-718
- Novel hyperglycosylated weak gelatindashbinding fibronectin from human fetal placenta.Eur J Biochem. 1990; 188: 67-71
- Is oncofetal fibronectin a trophoblast glue for human implantation?.Am J Pathology. 1991; 138: 537-543
- Human placenta (fetal) fibronectin: Increased glycosylation and higher protease resistance than plasma fibronectin.J Bio Chem. 1984; 259: 3962-3970
- Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage.Nature. 1970; 227: 680-685
- Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheet. Procedure and some applications.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci U.S.A. 76. 1979: 4350-4354
- Fibronectin as a marker of granulöse cell cytodifferentiation.Endocrinology. 1985; 117: 886-891
- A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of micro-gram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of proteindashdye binding.Anal Biochem. 1976; 72: 248-254
- Developmental study of human fetal placenta fibronectin: Alterations in carbohydrates of tissue fibronectin during gestation.Arch Biochem Biophys. 1987; 252: 1-6
- The oncofetal structure of human fibronectin defined by monoclonal antibody FDC-6.J Bio Chem. 1988; 263: 3314-3322
Accepted: November 15, 1993
Received: June 4, 1993
© 1994 Published by Elsevier Inc.