The study was conducted to determine whether placenta previa increases bleeding during gemeprost-induced termination of second-trimester pregnancy.
We carried out a retrospective study of 158 second-trimester terminations between 12 and 21 weeks' gestation. We compared the intraoperative blood loss among three groups: women without placenta previa undergoing gemeprost termination, women with placenta previa undergoing gemeprost termination and women with placenta previa undergoing dilatation and evacuation (D&E).
Eleven of 158 women (7.0%) had placenta previa; four underwent D&E and seven had gemeprost termination. There was no statistical difference in mean intraoperative blood loss among the three groups, although one of the seven women with placenta previa who underwent gemeprost termination developed serious bleeding requiring blood transfusion.
The use of gemeprost for second-trimester pregnancy termination in women with placenta previa seems to be relatively safe and does not increase intraoperative blood loss in the majority of cases.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Williams obstetrics.22nd ed. McGraw-Hill, New York2005
- The epidemiology of placenta previa in the United States, 1979 through 1987.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993; 168: 1424-1429
- Natural history of placenta previa ascertained by diagnostic ultrasound.Am J Obstet. 1979; 133: 287-291
- Persistence of placenta previa according to gestational age at ultrasound detection.Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 99: 692-697
- The effect of placenta previa on blood loss in second-trimester pregnancy termination.Obstet Gynecol. 1994; 84: 58-60
- Late midtrimester pregnancy termination in the presence of placenta previa.J Reprod Med. 2003; 48: 175-178
- A clinician's guide to medical and surgical abortion.Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia1999
- Misoprostol and pregnancy.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 38-47
- A retrospective study of 932 second trimester terminations using gemeprost (16,16-dimethyl-trans delta2 PGE1 methyl ester).Prostaglandins. 1992; 44: 65-74
- Second- and third-trimester therapeutic terminations of pregnancy in cases with complete placenta previa ��� does feticide decrease postdelivery maternal hemorrhage?.Fetal Diagn Ther. 2004; 19: 475-478
Published online: January 17, 2007
Accepted: November 2, 2006
Received in revised form: November 2, 2006
Received: March 22, 2006
© 2007 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.