The study was conducted to assess the effectiveness of mifepristone 200 mg 48 h before administering misoprostol 600 ��g, sublingual vs. vaginal route, prior to dilation and evacuation (D&E) in 12- to 20-week pregnancies.
Randomized clinical trial.
Cl��nica Mediterrania M��dica, Valencia, Spain.
Women with 12- to 20-week pregnancies wanting a voluntary abortion between July 9, 2004, and February 9, 2006.
Nine hundred women were randomized to be included in one of the following four groups: (I) mifepristone 200 mg plus sublingual misoprostol 600 ��g before D&E, (II) mifepristone 200 mg plus vaginal misoprostol 600 ��g before D&E, (III) sublingual misoprostol 600 ��g before D&E and (IV) vaginal misoprostol 600 ��g before D&E.
Main Outcomes Measured
The degree of cervical dilation achieved before D&E, surgical time necessary to terminate the pregnancy and side effects of misoprostol.
The average cervical dilation in the mifepristone groups was 12.5��2.8 mm (SD) [95% confidence interval (CI), 12.3���12.8] vs. 8.5��3.2 mm (SD) (95% CI, 8.2���8.8) in those receiving only misoprostol. Surgical time in the mifepristone sublingual misoprostol group was 11.9��4.3 min (SD) vs. 13.0��5.3 min (SD) in the sublingual misoprostol group without mifepristone (p=.007); in the mifepristone vaginal misoprostol group, the average surgical time was 12.3��5.0 min (SD) vs. 13.0��6.2 (SD) in the vaginal misoprostol group without mifepristone (p=.031).
Administering mifepristone before D&E with misoprostol in second-trimester abortions makes surgery easier and shorter and, to a certain extent, lessens the risk of cervical injuries, especially in D&E in advanced gestational periods.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A comparison of medical induction and dilation and evacuation for second-trimester abortion.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 187: 393-397
- National Evidence-Based Clinical Guidelines. The care of women requesting abortion.(Available at:)[Accessed: December 9, 2005])
- Nonsurgical mid-trimester termination of pregnancy: a review of 500 consecutive cases.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1999; 106: 706-710
- Urea-prostaglandin versus hypertonic saline for instillation abortion.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1983; 146: 947-952
- Misoprostol and pregnancy.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 38-47
- Mifepristone and misoprostol versus dilation and evacuation for midtrimester abortion: a pilot randomised controlled trial.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004; 111: 148-153
- Antiprogestins in clinical practice.in: Sitruk-Ware R. Mishell D.R. Progestins and antiprogestins in clinical practice. Marcel Dekker, Inc, New York2000: 377-391
- Pharmacokinetics of different routes of administration of misoprostol.Hum Reprod. 2002; 64: 332-336
- Fetal biparietal diameter: a critical re-evaluation of the relation to menstrual age by means of real-time ultrasound.J Ultrasound Med. 1982; 1: 97-104
- John Wiley and Sons, Chichester (England)1990: 181-198 ([for World Health Organization]) Adequacy of sample size in health studies.
- A five-year experience with second-trimester induced abortions: no increase in complication rate as compared to the first trimester.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993; 168: 633-637
- Abortion mortality, United Status, 1972 through 1987.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1994; 171: 1365-1372
- Dilation and evacuation procedures and second-trimester abortions. The role of the physician skill and hospital setting.JAMA. 1982; 248: 559-563
- Mifepristone: risque t��ratogenes.in: Ceschon P. L'interruption de la grossesse apr��s de la loi Veil: bilan et perspectives. Medicine-Sciencies, Paris1997: 55-57 ([Flammarion])
Published online: January 17, 2007
Accepted: November 9, 2006
Received in revised form: November 9, 2006
Received: April 21, 2006
© 2007 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.