Changes in the use of intrauterine devices (IUDs) for contraception in China in the past 10 years are reviewed. Replacement of the inert stainless steel ring with copper-bearing IUDs was an essential decision to improve the efficacy of the IUDs. The most commonly used, TCu380A, TCu220C and MLCu375, and those developed in China, such as the uterine-shaped UCu300 IUD and �� Cu380 IUD, are reviewed. Studies of MLCu375 and TCu380A for emergency contraception revealed a highly effective method, which could prevent over 96% of unwanted pregnancies. Use of levonorgestrel-releasing system provides both contraceptive and therapeutic effects in the treatment of menorrhagia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
Anonymous. The IUD: an important method with potential. Population reports. February 2006; Series B: Number 7 (Intrauterine Devices): 3���5.
- WHO HRP Department of Reproductive Health and Research. China to upgrade its IUD technology.in: Khanna J. Maurice J. Prog Reproduc Health Res. vol 60. 2002: 4-6
- Survey of IUD replacing status in Sichuan, PR China.Contraception. 2003; 67: 379-383
- Systemic review of TCu380A, TCu220C and MLCu375.Chin Fam Plann. 2005; 13: 87-93
- WHO Special Programme of Research, Development and Research Training in Human Reproduction. Long-term reversible contraception. Twelve years of experience with the TCu380A and TCu220C.Contraception. 1997; 56: 341-352
- A multicenter comparative clinical study of uterine cavity shaped device Cu 300, TCu 220C and TCu 380A for ten years.Chin J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 38: 298-301
- A comparative study of �� Cu380 IUD and TCu 380A IUD.Reprod and Contracep. 2000; 20: 26-29
- Performance of the frameless GyneFix and the TCu380A IUDs in a 3-year multicenter, randomized, comparative trial in parous women.Contraception. 2000; 61: 91-98
- Emergency contraception with Multiload Cu 375 SL IUD: a multicenter clinical trial.Contraception. 2001; 64: 107-112
- New estimates of the effectiveness of the Yuzpe regimen of emergency contraception.Contraception. 1998; 57: 363-369
- Use of the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system for contraception and treatment of menorrhagia���the Chinese experience.Gynecol Forum. 1998; 3: 26-28
- Safety study of LNG-IUS after 5 years of clinical trial.Chin J Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 36: 675-677
- Therapeutic effects of the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system in the treatment of idiopathic menorrhagia.Fertil Steril. 2003; 79: 963-969
Published online: February 19, 2007
Accepted: December 5, 2006
Received: December 5, 2006
© 2007 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.