The rate of repeat induced abortion varies from 30% to 38% in northern Europe. Thus, repeat abortion is an important public health issue. However, risk factors as regards repeat abortion are poorly understood. We characterized risk factors related to sociodemographic characteristics, history of abortion and post-abortal contraception.
A prospective cohort study of 1269 women undergoing medical abortion between August 2000 and December 2002 was conducted. The subjects were followed via the Finnish Registry of Induced Abortions until December 2005, the follow-up time (mean��SD) being 49.2��8.0 months.
Altogether, 179 (14.1%) of the subjects requested repeat abortion within the follow-up time. In univariate analysis, a history of prior abortion, being parous, young age, smoking and failure to attend the follow-up visit were associated with repeat abortion. Immediate ��� in contrast to postponed ��� initiation of any contraceptive method was linked to a lower risk of repeat abortion. In comparison with combined oral contraceptives, use of intrauterine contraception was most efficacious in reducing the risk of another pregnancy termination. In multivariate analysis, the effects of young age, being parous, smoking, a history of prior abortion and type of contraception on the risk of another abortion persisted.
An increased focus on young women, parous women and those with a history of abortion may be efficacious in decreasing repeat abortion. Contraceptive choices made at the time of abortion have an important effect on the rate of repeat abortion. Use of intrauterine contraceptives for post-abortal contraception was associated with decreased risk of repeat abortion.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Accessed 8/15/07)
- Accessed 8/15/07)
- Accessed 8/15/07)
- Accessed 2/18/08)
- Induced abortions and risk of ectopic pregnancy.Hum Reprod. 1995; 10: 1841-1844
- Induced abortion as a risk factor for subsequent fetal loss.Epidemiology. 1996; 7: 540-542
- Previous abortion and the risk of low birth weight and preterm births.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2008; 62: 16-22
- Can we identify women at risk of more than one termination of pregnancy?.Contraception. 2004; 71: 31-34
- Characteristics of women undergoing repeat induced abortion.CMAJ. 2005; 172: 637-641
- Effectiveness of preabortion counseling on postabortal contraceptive use.Contraception. 2004; 69: 481-487
- Risk factors for repeat elective abortion.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 197: 575.e1-575.e6
- Counseling in the clinical setting to prevent unintended pregnancy: an evidence-based research agenda.Contraception. 2003; 67: 115-132
- Specialist contraceptive counseling and provision after termination of pregnancy improves uptake of long-acting methods but does not prevent repeat abortion: a randomized trial.Hum Reprod. 2006; 21: 2296-2303
- The learning curve is rapid in medical termination of pregnancy ��� first-year results from the Helsinki area.Contraception. 2003; 67: 223-227
- Termination of early pregnancy using flexible, low-dose mifepristone���misoprostol regimens.Contraception,. 2007; 76: 456-460
- Declining induced abortion rate in Finland: data quality of the Finnish abortion register.Int J Epidemiol. 1996; 25: 376-380
- Classification of occupations: Handbook 14. Statistics Finland, Helsinki1987
- Classification of socioeconomic groups: Handbook 17. Statistics Finland, Helsinki1989
- Koulutusluokitus 31.12.1991 (Classification of education. 31 December 1991 [in Finnish]): Handbook 1. Statistics Finland, Helsinki1992
- More than one abortion.J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2007; 33: 155-158
- Socioeconomic status and smoking: analysing inequalities with multiple indicators.Eur J Public Health. 2005; 15: 262-269
- Measuring contraceptive effectiveness: a conceptual framework.Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 88: 24S-30S
- Immediate postabortal insertion of a levonorgestrel-releasing IUD.Contraception. 1982; 26: 245-249
- Randomized comparison of levonorgestrel- and copper-releasing intrauterine systems immediately after abortion, with 5 years' follow-up.Contraception. 2003; 68: 31-34
- Contraception at the time of abortion: high-risk time or high-risk women?.Hum Reprod. 2006; 21: 2862-2867
- Oral contraceptive discontinuation: a prospective evaluation of frequency and reasons.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1998; 179: 577-582
Published online: May 28, 2008
Accepted: March 13, 2008
Received in revised form: February 26, 2008
Received: January 18, 2008
© 2008 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.