The study was conducted to ascertain the influence of oral contraceptive pill (OCP) uptake on serum zinc and selenium in contraceptive pill users.
The concentration of zinc and selenium was determined by atomic absorption spectrophotometer in 50 healthy women with normal menstrual cycles as a control group and 50 women taking low-dose OCP.
The control reference values were 81.61��9.44 and 70.35��25.57 mcg/dL, which were obtained for zinc and selenium, respectively. Use of OCP resulted in a significant decrease in serum zinc levels (p���.009, t=���3.666) and alteration of selenium levels but not significantly (p=.08, t=0.935). The duration of use beyond 3 months had no effect on the magnitude of the decrease in serum zinc levels.
These findings may be important because selenium is currently believed to offer protective benefits against carcinogenesis. It has been thought that the decrease in serum zinc could be reflected in a reduction of tissue zinc status due to changes in zinc absorption, excretion or tissue turnover. If these changes occur, the dietary zinc requirement would be greater in women using OCP.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The metallobiology of Alzheimer disease.Trends Neurosci. 2003; 26: 207-214
- Selenium and cancer a review.Bioinorg Chem. 1976; 5: 275-281
- Zinc and disease of the brain.Mol Neurobiol. 2001; 24: 99-106
- Serum copper and zinc in hormonal contraceptive users.Fert Steril. 1980; 33: 267-271
- Effect of a long acting contraceptive drug, norethindrone enathate, on serum zinc and copper in human volunteers.Contraception. 1976; 14: 291-298
- Zinc and copper nutrition of women taking oral contraceptive agent.Am J Clin Nut. 1981; 34: 1479-1483
- Determinations of serum copper, zinc and selenium in healthy subjects.Ann Clin. 2005; 42: 364-375
- Effect of estrogen on serum and tissue levels of copper and zinc.Adv Exp Med Biol. 1989; 258: 155-162
- Zinc and copper concentrations in leucocytes and erythrocytes in healthy adults and the effect of oral contraceptives.J Clin Pathol. 1983; 6: 1016-1021
- Selenium oxidative stress and health aspects.Mol Aspects Med. 2005; 58: 155-162
- Serum zinc levels in normal and an ovulatory cycle and under oral contraceptive therapy.Arch Gynakol. 1974; 217: 309-314
- The effect of estrogen replacement therapy on zinc in serum and urine.Obstetrics and gynecology. 1996; 87: 1035-1040
- Effect of hormone replacement therapy on the elemental contents of uterine tissue.Biol Trace Elements. 2004; 101: 37-46
- Oral contraceptive, norethindrone and mestranol: effect on tissue levels of mineral.Am J Physiol. 1976; 231: 98-103
- Estrogen decreases zinc transporter 3 expression and synaptic vesicle zinc level in mouse brain.J Biol Chem. 2004; 279: 8602-8607
- Zinc and di-iodohydroxyquinoline therapy in acrodermatitis enteropathica.J Clin Pathol. 1977; 30: 284-287
- Plasma levels of copper zinc during the estrous cycle of the ewes.Internatl J Vita Nutrition Res. 1982; 52: 75-79
- Blood clotting and platelet aggregation during oral progestogen contraception: a follow-up study.Br Med J. 1971; 1: 705-707
- Oestrogen/progestogen oral contraception and blood clotting: a long follow-up study.Br Med J. 1971; 4: 648-653
- Oral contraceptives ��� update on usage, safety and side effects.Population Rep. 1979; Ser A. No. 5
- Role of zinc in regulating the levels of hepatic elements following nickel-toxicity in rats.Biol Trace Elements Res. 2004; 102: 161-172
- Protection of carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxiciy by zinc: role of metallothionein.Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 1979; 51: 107-116
- Determination of selenium concentration and glutathione peroxidase activity in plasma and erythrocytes.Clin Chem. 1982; 28: 311-316
Published online: April 06, 2009
Accepted: January 22, 2009
Received in revised form: November 5, 2008
Received: April 13, 2008
���This study was supported in part by a grant from the Medical Sciences of Iran University.
© 2009 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.