A previous study showed that 50% ethanolic extracts of the roots of Achyranthes aspera possess spermatotoxic effects.
A 58-kDa protein (Ap) was isolated, and its spermatotoxic effects were studied in comparison with gossypol. Ap (25 mg/kg body weight a day) and gossypol (40 mg/kg body weight a day) were administered orally to Swiss male albino mice for 35 days. Sperm motility, sperm count, sperm abnormality, toxicity markers such as aspartate aminotransferase (AST), alanine aminotransferase (ALT) in the liver and serum, testicular activities of hydroxyl methyl glutaryl CoA reductase (HMG CoA reductase), 3��-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3��-HSD), 17��-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase(17��-HSD), glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase, cholesterol level and serum testosterone were assayed. Spermicidal action of the proteolytic digests of Ap was also studied in vitro.
Treated mice showed significant spermatotoxicity. Significant differences were also observed in the testicular activities of HMG CoA reductase, 3��-HSD, 17��-HSD and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase and in the levels of cholesterol and serum testosterone. The nontoxic nature of Ap was indicated by the insignificant alterations in the activities of AST and ALT. Ap possessed spermicidal activity even after proteolysis.
The 58-kDa protein isolated from A. aspera possesses spermatotoxic effects comparable to gossypol.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Estrogenic and pregnancy interceptory effects of Achyranthes aspera Linn.Afri J Trad Compli Alt Med. 2007; 4: 7-11
- Effect of Achyranthes aspera L on fetal abortion, uterine, pituitary weights, serum lipids and hormones.Afr Health Sci. 2007; 6: 98-112
- In vitro determination of the contraceptive spermicidal activity of a composite extract of Achyranthes aspera and Stephania hernandifolia on human semen.Contraception. 2006; 73: 284-288
- Impact of feeding ethanolic extracts of Achyranthes aspera Linn. on reproductive functions in male.Indian J Exp Biol. 2002; 40: 1307-1309
- Effects of gossypol and cottonseed products on reproduction of mammals.J Anim Sci. 1992; 70: 1628-1638
- Studies on the male antifertility agent ��� gossypol acetic acid on rat testis.Andrologia. 1981; 13: 242-249
- Plummer D.T. An introduction to practical biochemistry. 3rd ed. Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Ltd, New Delhi1971: 52-55
- Disc electrophoresis of basic proteins and peptides on poly acrylamide gels.Nature. 1962; 195: 281-283
- Antifertility and endocrine activities of gossypol in rodents.Contraception. 1981; 24: 97-102
- WHO laboratory manual for the examination of human semen and sperm���cervical mucus interaction, third edition. WHO, Cambridge1992
- A calorimetric method for the determination of glutamic oxaloacetate and glutamic pyruvic transaminases.Am J Clin Pathol. 1957; 28: 56-70
- A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues.J Biol Chem. 1957; 226: 497-509
- A simplified method for the estimation of total cholesterol in serum and demonstration of its specificity.J Biol Chem. 1952; 195: 357-366
- Estimation of HMG CoA reductase activity.Clin Chem. 1975; 21: 1523-1525
- An assay method for 3��-hydroxy steroid dehydrogenase.Analy Biochem. 1997; 254: 57-61
- Soluble 17-�� hydroxy steroid dehydrogenase of human placenta.in: Raymond B.C. Methods in enzymology. vol. 15. Academic Press, New York1969: 746-752
- Assay of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase.in: Colowick S.P. Kalpan N.O Methods in enzymology. Academic Press, New York1955: 323-326
- Protein measurement with the Folin���phenol reagent.J Biol Chem. 1951; 193: 265-275
- Amino acid phenylthiohydantoins, dimethyl aminonaphthalene sulphonyl (Dansyl) amino acids and sequence analysis of proteins.in: Smith I.v.o.r. Chromatographic and electrophoretic techniques. 3rd ed. Pitman Press, Bath1952: 207-209
- Evaluation of antimicrobial peptide nisin as a safe vaginal contraceptive agent in rabbits: in vitro and in vivo studies.Reproduction. 2004; 128: 117-126
- Antifertility effects of Tinospora cordifolia stem extracts in male rats.Indian J Exp Biol. 2003; 41: 885-889
- Gossypol a potent antifertility agent for males.Ann Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 1984; 24: 329-333
- Serum testosterone changes and residual gossypol content in reproductive and endocrine organs of male pigs fed a ration containing FDA allowed 450 ppm gossypol.J Andol. 1986; 7: 13-17
- Studies on the chemical constituents of balsam pear (Momordica charantia).Chin Traditional Herb Drugs. 1995; 26: 507-510
Published online: June 18, 2010
Accepted: April 13, 2010
Received in revised form: April 7, 2010
Received: February 21, 2010
���The financial support from Kerala State Council for Science Technology and Environment (KSCSTE) is gratefully acknowledged.
© 2010 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.