For women who have a fetal demise with an abdominal cerclage in place, route of uterine evacuation is a clinical dilemma. We review a case of a second trimester loss in the setting of an abdominal cerclage in an HIV positive woman. We provide other clinician's experience and management strategies and provide a review of cases found in the literature.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Patients with a prior failed transvaginal cerclage: a comparison of obstetric outcomes with either transabdominal or transvaginal cerclage.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 183: 836-839
- Abdominal versus vaginal cerclage after a failed transvaginal cerclage: a systematic review.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 187: 868-872
- Outcome after transabdominal cervicoisthmic cerclage.Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 107: 779-784
- Clinical outcomes following interval laparoscopic transabdominal cervico-isthmic cerclage placement: case series.Hum Reprod. 2003; 18: 1716-1719
- Pre-pregnancy transabdominal cerclage.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2009; 88: 483-486
- Placement and removal of abdominal cerclage by laparoscopy.Reprod Biomed Online. 2008; 16: 308-310
- Laparoscopic removal of abdominal cerclage.JSLS. 2007; 11: 375-377
- Transabdominal cerclage for fetal wastage due to cervical incompetence.Obstet Gynecol. 1988; 71: 865-868
- Transabdominal cervical cerclage.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2010; 50: 460-464
- Operative complications and fetal morbidity encountered in 300 prophylactic transabdominal cervical cerclage procedures by one obstetric surgeon.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2011; 31: 713-717
- Uterine rupture following abdominal cerclage with prior classical caesarean section.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2011; 31: 83-84
- Guidelines for reducing the risk of viral transmission during fertility treatment.Fertil Steril. 2008; 90: S156-S162
- Human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome and infertility: emerging problems in the era of highly active antiretrovirals.Fertil Steril. 2011; 96: 546-553
- American physicians remain slow to embrace the reproductive needs of human immunodeficiency virus���infected patients.Fertil Steril. 2006; 85: 295-297
Published online: October 12, 2012
Accepted: September 6, 2012
Received: May 8, 2012
© 2013 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.