Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Nutrition. Controlling the global obesity epidemic. Word Health Organization, Geneva2003 ([accessed 26 Mar 2013]. Available at:)
Lopez LM, Edelman A, Chen M, Otterness C, Trussell J, Helmerhorst FM. Progestin-only contraceptives: effects on weight. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 7. Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Kit BK, Flegal KM. Prevalence of obesity in the United States, 2009–2010. NCHS Data Brief. 2012; 82:1–7 [accessed 4 Oct 2012]. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db82.pdf
- Causes of obesity.Abdom Imaging. 2012; 37: 730-732
OPAS. Organização Pan-Americana da Saúde. Doenças crônico-degenerativas e obesidade: estratégia mundial sobre alimentação saudável, atividade física e saúde. Brasília, DF: OPAS; 2003.
- Depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate: an update.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2008; 278: 1-12
- Changes in weight with depot medroxyprogesterone acetate subcutaneous injection 104 mg/0,65 ml.Contraception. 2007; 75: 261-267
- The use of depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate in contraception and its potential impact on skeletal health.Contraception. 2009; 79: 167-177
- Changes in weight, total fat, percent body fat, and central-to-peripheral fat ratio associated with injectable and oral contraceptive use.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 200: 329.e1-329.e8
- Weight, fat mass, and central distribution of fat increase when women use depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate for contraception.Int J Obes. 2005; 29: 1252-1258
- Reasons for discontinuation of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate.International Congress Series. 2004; 1271: 315-318
- Injectable contraception.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 50: 898-906
- Early weight gain predicting later weight gain among depot medroxyprogesterone acetate users.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 114: 279-284
- Comparison of weight increase in users of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate and copper IUD up to 5 years.Contraception. 2001; 64: 223-225
- Effect of counseling to improve compliance in Mexican women receiving depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate.Contraception. 2001; 63: 143-146
- SAS System for Statistical Graphics, version 1.2. First Edition. SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC, USA1995 (Available at:)
- Variations in body mass index of users of depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate as a contraceptive.Contraception. 2010; 81: 107-111
- Weight variation in a cohort of women using copper IUD for contraception.Contraception. 2003; 68: 27-30
- Progestin-only contraceptives: effects on weight. The WHO Reproductive Health Library.World Health Organization, Geneva2012
- Sex steroids and bone: current perspectives.Hum Reprod Update. 2003; 9: 207-222
- Sex differences in human adipose tissues – the biology of pear shape.Biol Sex Differ. 2012; 3: 13
- Subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue: their relation to the metabolic syndrome.Endocr Rev. 2000; 21: 697-738
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of the effect of aerobic vs. resistance exercise training on visceral fat.Obes Rev. 2012; 13: 68-91
- Effect of exercise training intensity on abdominal visceral fat and body composition.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008; 40: 1863-1872
- Exercise-induced reversal of insulin resistance in obese elderly is associated with reduced visceral fat.J Appl Physiol. 2006; 100: 1584-1589
- Progestin-only contraceptives: effects on weight.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; 13 (CD008815)
☆Funding: Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP), grant #2009/15595-4, and the Brazilian National Research Council (CNPq), grant 573747/2008-3.
☆☆Conflicts of Interest: None declared.