Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Use of hormonal contraceptives and HIV acquisition in women: a systematic review of the epidemiological evidence.Lancet Infect Dis. 2013; 13: 797-808
- North American Forum on Family Planning, Seattle, WA2013 Hormonal contraception and the risk of HIV acquisition: an individual participant meta-analysis.
- Injectable contraception and HIV acquisition in the VOICE study (MTN-003).in: Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI) 2014. Boston, MA. 2014
- Hormonal contraception and HIV acquisition: reanalysis using marginal structural modeling.AIDS. 2010; 24: 1778-1781
- Participants of the HCHIVOAM. Assessing the effect of hormonal contraception on HIV acquisition in observational data: challenges and recommended analytic approaches.AIDS. 2013; 27: S35-S43
- Biomarker validation of reports of recent sexual activity: results of a randomized controlled study in Zimbabwe.Am J Epidemiol. 2009; 170: 918-924
- Hormonal contraception and HIV: the methods have confused the message.AIDS. 2013; 27: S45-S53
- Hormonal contraception and the risk of HIV acquisition among women in South Africa.AIDS. 2012; 26: 497-504
- North American Forum on Family Planning, Seattle, WA2013 A (potential) randomized clinical trial to assess the relative benefits and risks, including HIV acquisition, of different highly-effective contraceptiev methods.
- Progesterone implants enhance SIV vaginal transmission and early virus load.Nat Med. 1996; 2: 1084-1089
- Abrogation of attenuated lentivirus-induced protection in rhesus macaques by administration of depo-provera before intravaginal challenge with simian immunodeficiency virus mac239.J Infect Dis. 2004; 190: 1697-1705
- Prevention of vaginal SHIV transmission in macaques by a coitally-dependent Truvada regimen.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e50632
- Progesterone increases susceptibility and decreases immune responses to genital herpes infection.J Virol. 2003; 77: 4558-4565
- The contraceptive depot medroxyprogesterone acetate impairs mycobacterial control and inhibits cytokine secretion in mice infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis.Infect Immun. 2013; 81: 1234-1244
- Hormonal contraception and HIV-1 infection: medroxyprogesterone acetate suppresses innate and adaptive immune mechanisms.Endocrinology. 2013; 154: 1282-1295
- Immunosuppressive biological mechanisms support reassessment of use of the injectable contraceptive medroxyprogesterone acetate.Endocrinology. 2013; 154: 985-988
- Sex hormones and the immune response in humans.Hum Reprod Update. 2005; 11: 411-423
- The intracellular progesterone receptor regulates CD4+ T cells and T cell-dependent antibody responses.J Leukoc Biol. 2013; 93: 369-375
- The immune privilege of testis and gravid uterus: same difference?.Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2014; 382: 509-520
- World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki: ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects.JAMA. 2013; 310: 2191-2194
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Contraception: How effective are birth control methods? In: U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/UnintendedPregnancy/Contraception.htm [Last updated in August 2013, and accessed on May 1, 2014].
- Hormonal contraception and HIV acquisition risk: implications for individual users and public policies.Contraception. 2012; 86: 645-652
- Use of hormonal contraceptives and risk of HIV-1 transmission: a prospective cohort study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2012; 12: 19-26
World Health Organization. Regional estimates for 2000-2011: cause-specific mortality. In. http://www.who.int/healthinfo/global_burden_disease/estimates_regional/en/ [Accessed on May 1, 2014].
- 2013 Family planning worldwide 2013 Data Sheet.
- 2007 South Africa Demographic and Health Survey 2003.
- Use of modern contraception increases when more methods become available: analysis of evidence from 1982-2009.Glob Health Sci Pract. 2013; 1: 203-212
☆The author has no conflicts of interest to declare.