In 2012, the groundbreaking London Summit on Family Planning [
] galvanized support for the far-reaching benefits of contraception. Funders, government leaders and other global partners made commitments to expanding access to rights-based family planning services for an additional 120 million women and girls by 2020 [
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- DFID Press Office
Landmark summit puts women at heart of global health agenda [press release].
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and DFID, Seattle, WA, and London2012
]. This ambitious goal has been branded as FP2020, and a formal secretariat was established under the UN Foundation to facilitate the implementation and coordinate contributions from key stakeholders.
- Brown W.
- Druce N.
- Bunting J.
- Radloff S.
- Koroma D.
- Gupta S.
- et al.
Developing the “120 by 120” Goal for the global FP 2020 initiative.
Stud Fam Plann. 2014; 45: 73-84
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Landmark summit puts women at heart of global health agenda [press release].Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and DFID, Seattle, WA, and London2012 ([cited 2012 Nov 12, Available from: http://www.londonfamilyplanningsummit.co.uk/1530%20FINAL%20press%20release.pdf])
- Developing the “120 by 120” Goal for the global FP 2020 initiative.Stud Fam Plann. 2014; 45: 73-84
- Trends in contraceptive need and use in developing countries in 2003, 2008, 2012: An analysis of national surveys.Lancet. 2013; 381: 1756-1762
- The contraceptive revolution: focused efforts are still needed.Lancet. 2013; 381: 1604-1606
- Effectiveness of longer-acting reversible contraception.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 1998-2007
- Meeting the unmet need for family planning. Now is the time.Lancet. 2013; 381: 1696-1699
- Choosing a contraceptive: efficacy, safety, and personal considerations.(Chapter 3)in: Hatcher R.A. Trussell J.E. Nelson A.M. Cates Jr., W. Kowal D. Contraceptive technology. Twentieth ed. Ardent Media, New York2011: 45-54
- Voluntary, human rights–based family planning: a conceptual framework.Stud Fam Plann. 2014; 45: 1-18
- Timing of reproductive life stages.Obstet Gynecol. 1993; 82: 105-111
- Fundamental elements of the quality of care: a simple framework.Stud Fam Plann. 1990; 2: 61-91
- Hatcher R.A. Trussell J.E. Nelson A.M. Cates Jr., W. Kowal D. Contraceptive technology. Twentieth ed. Ardent Media, New York2011
- Family planning: a global handbook for providers (2011 update).WHO, Geneva2011
- Use of modern contraception increases when more methods become available: analysis of evidence from 1982-2009.Glob Health Sci Pract. 2013; ([Epub July 26, 2013])https://doi.org/10.9745/GHSP-D-13-00010
- Causes and consequences of contraceptive discontinuation: evidence from 60 demographic and health surveys.World Health Organization, Geneva2012
- Estimating the impact of expanding Medicaid eligibility for family planning services: 2011 update.Guttmacher Institute, New York2011: 38
- Adding equity into our metrics: MSI's new High Impact CYPs.in: Presentation, International Conference on Family Planning, Addis Ababa. 2013
- Measuring improvements in sexual and reproductive health and rights in sub-Saharan Africa.Reprod Health Matters. 2012; 20: 177-187
- Revising unmet need for family planning.DHS Analytical Studies No. 25. ICF International, Calverton, Maryland, USA2012
- USAID’s family planning and reproductive health portfolio.2014 ([Presented May 19, 2014])
- Global development, family planning and the millennium development goals.Science. 2010; 329: 1603
Published online: July 01, 2014
Accepted: June 24, 2014
Received in revised form: June 24, 2014
Received: June 13, 2014
☆Revision to Contraception as a Commentary.
© 2014 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.