Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
- Clinical guidelines. Cervical preparation for surgical abortion from 20 to 24 weeks' gestation.Contraception. 2008; 77: 308-314
- Cervical preparation for second trimester dilation and evacuation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; : CD007310
- Cervical preparation for second-trimester surgical abortion prior to 20 weeks of gestation.Contraception. 2007; 76: 486-495
- A randomized controlled trial of laminaria, oral misoprostol, and vaginal misoprostol before abortion.Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 93: 766-770
- Mifepristone versus laminaria: a randomized controlled trial of cervical ripening in midtrimester termination.Contraception. 2007; 76: 383-388
- Buccal misoprostol plus laminaria for cervical preparation before dilation and evacuation at 21–23 weeks of gestation: a randomized controlled trial.Contraception. 2014; 89: 307-313
- Mifepristone vs. osmotic dilator insertion for cervical preparation prior to surgical abortion at 14–16 weeks: a randomized trial.Contraception. 2012; 86: 567-571
- Misoprostol compared with laminaria before early second-trimester surgical abortion: a randomized trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 234-241
- Pain control in first-trimester surgical abortion: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials.Contraception. 2010; 81: 372-388
- Pain relief for obstetric and gynecologic ambulatory procedures.Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2013; 40: 625-645
- The neuroanatomy of female pelvic pain.in: Bailey A. Bernstein C. Pain in women: a clinical guide. Springer Science and Business Media, New York2013: 17-58
- Transcervical intrauterine topical local anesthetic at hysterosalpingography: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Fertil Steril. 2002; 78: 1116-1122
- Topical anaesthesia for diagnostic hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy in postmenopausal women: a randomised placebo-controlled double-blind study.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1997; 104: 316-319
- Intrauterine anesthesia for gynecologic procedures: a systematic review.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120: 669-677
- Anesthetic efficacy of intrauterine lidocaine for endometrial biopsy: a randomized double-masked trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 95: 345-347
- Anesthetic effect of intrauterine lidocaine plus naproxen sodium in endometrial biopsy.Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 103: 347-351
- Intrauterine lidocaine plus buccal misoprostol in the endometrial biopsy.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2007; 97: 125-128
- Comparison of oral nonsteroidal analgesic and intrauterine local anesthetic for pain relief in uterine fractional curettage: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203: 28.e1-28.e7
- Effectiveness of intrauterine anesthesia for pain relief during fractional curettage.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 533-539
- Comparison of oral naproxen and intrauterine lignocaine instillation for pain relief during hysterosalpingography.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2008; 102: 284-286
- Intrauterine lidocaine infusion for pain relief during saline solution infusion sonohysterography: a randomized, controlled trial.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2007; 14: 304-310
- Four percent intrauterine lidocaine infusion for pain management in first-trimester abortions.Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 107: 269-275
- Pain assessment in patients with low back pain: comparison of weekly recall and momentary electronic data.J Pain. 2006; 7: 192-199
- Comparison of pain measures among patients with osteoarthritis.J Pain. 2010; 11: 522-527
- Clinical significance of reported changes in pain severity.Ann Emerg Med. 1996; 27: 485-489
- Prospective validation of clinically important changes in pain severity measured on a visual analog scale.Ann Emerg Med. 2001; 38: 633-638
- Reliability and validity of a visual analog scale for acute abdominal pain in the ED.Am J Emerg Med. 2002; 20: 287-290
- Assessment of pain after elective abortion relating to the use of misoprostol for dilatation of the cervix.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2010; 32: 244-253
- Measures of adult pain: Visual Analog Scale for Pain (VAS Pain), Numeric Rating Scale for Pain (NRS Pain), McGill Pain Questionnaire (MPQ), Short-Form McGill Pain Questionnaire (SF-MPQ), Chronic Pain Grade Scale (CPGS), Short Form-36 Bodily Pain Scale (SF-36 BPS), and Measure of Intermittent and Constant Osteoarthritis Pain (ICOAP).Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011; 63: S240-S252
- Intrauterine lignocaine as an anaesthetic during endometrial sampling: a randomised double-blind controlled trial.BJOG. 2006; 113: 53-57
- Intrauterine lidocaine infusion for pain management in first-trimester abortions.Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 103: 1267-1272
☆Funding: This study received financial support from the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at University of North Carolina Chapel Hill. The corresponding author was supported by an National Institutes of Health T-32 grant for clinical research (Grant #T32 HD 40672–11) and the North Carolina Translational and Clinical Sciences Institute. The Institute is supported by grants UL1RR025747, KL2RR025746, and TLRR025745 from the NIH National Center for Research Resources and the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, National Institutes of Health.
☆☆Neither author reports any potential financial or other conflict of interest.
★Clinical Trial Registration: ClinicalTrials.gov (NCT01541293).