Little evidence exists regarding medical abortion for women with inherited bleeding disorders. A 21-year-old primigravid hemophilia A carrier desired a medical abortion. After counseling, she chose medical abortion, which occurred without excess bleeding or surgical intervention.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- ACOG practice bulletin 67: medical management of abortion.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 871-882
- Bleeding patterns after early abortion with mifepristone and misoprostol or manual vacuum aspiration.J Am Med Womens Assoc. 2000; 55: 141-144
- Double-blind randomized trial of mifepristone in combination with vaginal gemeprost or misoprostol for induction of abortion up to 63 days gestation.Hum Reprod. 2001; 16: 2098-2102
- Randomized trial of misoprostol and cervagem in combination with a reduced dose of mifepristone for induction of abortion.Hum Reprod. 1995; 10: 1521-1527
- A comparative analysis of fall in haemoglobin following abortions conducted by mifepristone (600 mg) and vacuum aspiration.Hum Reprod. 1995; 10: 1512-1515
- International consensus conference on non-surgical (medical) abortion in early first trimester on issues related to regimens and service delivery: frequently asked clinical questions about medical abortion.World Health Organization, Geneva2006
- Campana A. Medical versus surgical methods for first trimester termination of pregnancy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; : CD003037
- Bleeding in carriers of hemophilia.Blood. 2006; 108: 52-56
- More than menorrhagia: a review of the obstetric and gynaecological manifestations of bleeding disorders.Haemophilia. 2005; 11: 295-307
- Surveillance of female patients with inherited bleeding disorders in United States haemophilia treatment centres.Haemophilia. 2011; 17: 6-13
Published online: April 13, 2016
Accepted: April 6, 2016
Received in revised form: April 1, 2016
Received: January 4, 2016
☆Source of Funding: None.
☆☆Dr. Hou denies any conflicts of interest regarding this work.
© 2016 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.