A recently released report from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine on the current state of ovarian cancer research and care concludes that this disease is a constellation of different subtypes with distinct developmental origins [
]. The report summarizes emerging evidence that most ovarian cancers arise from the female reproductive tract, not the ovaries per se, and spread to the ovary. This realization has changed thinking about screening and early detection, risk factors, and most importantly preventive measures, especially in women known to be at higher risk (e.g., carriers of germline BRCA1/2 mutations). Given our interests to bring forward new contraceptive methods for both the developing and developed world, this report has motivated us to consider the public health implications of tubal contraception with respect to new insights about ovarian cancers.
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
Ovarian Cancers: Evolving Paradigms in Research and Care.
National Academies Press, Washington, DC2016
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ovarian Cancers: Evolving Paradigms in Research and Care.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2016 ([www.nas.edu/OvarianCancers])
- Molecular pathogenesis and extraovarian origin of epithelial ovarian cancer--shifting the paradigm.Hum Pathol. 2011; 42: 918-931
- "Primary peritoneal" high-grade serous carcinoma is very likely metastatic from serous tubal intraepithelial carcinoma: assessing the new paradigm of ovarian and pelvic serous carcinogenesis and its implications for screening for ovarian cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2011; 120: 470-473
- Intraepithelial carcinoma of the fimbria and pelvic serous carcinoma: Evidence for a causal relationship.Am J Surg Pathol. 2007; 31: 161-169
- The role of the fallopian tube in ovarian cancer.Clin Adv Hematol Oncol. 2012; 10: 296-306
- The impact of ovulation on fallopian tube epithelial cells: evaluating three hypotheses connecting ovulation and serous ovarian cancer.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2011; 18: 627-642
- Pelvic inflammatory disease and the risk of epithelial ovarian cancer.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 1995; 4: 447-451
- Salpingitis, salpingoliths, and serous tumors of the ovaries: is there a connection?.Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2002; 21: 101-107
- Possible role of ovarian epithelial inflammation in ovarian cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1999; 91: 1459-1467
- The relation between endometriosis and ovarian cancer - a review.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2014; 93: 20-31
- Tubal ligation, hysterectomy and ovarian cancer: A meta-analysis.J Ovarian Res. 2012; 5: 13
- Reduced risk of ovarian cancer in women with a tubal ligation or hysterectomy. The World Health Organization Collaborative Study of Neoplasia and Steroid Contraceptives.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 1996; 5: 933-935
- Reproductive characteristics in relation to ovarian cancer risk by histologic pathways.Hum Reprod. 2013; 28: 1406-1417
- Tubal ligation, hysterectomy and epithelial ovarian cancer in the New England Case–Control Study.Int J Cancer. 2013; 133: 2415-2421
- Tubal ligation, hysterectomy, unilateral oophorectomy, and risk of ovarian cancer in the Nurses' Health Studies.Fertil Steril. 2014; 102: 192-198.e3
- Ovarian Cancer Risk Factors by Histologic Subtype: An Analysis From the Ovarian Cancer Cohort Consortium.J Clin Oncol. 2016;
- Bilateral salpingectomy can reduce the risk of ovarian cancer in the general population: A meta-analysis.Eur J Cancer. 2016; 55: 38-46
- Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 279-281
- SGO Clinical Practice Statement: Salpingectomy for Ovarian Cancer Prevention.https://www.sgo.org/clinical-practice/guidelines/sgo-clinical-practice-statement-salpingectomy-for-ovarian-cancer-prevention/Date: 2013
- Hospital Variation in the Practice of Bilateral Salpingectomy With Ovarian Conservation in 2012.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 127: 297-305
- Growth in salpingectomy rates in the United States since 2000.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016;
- Female tubal sterilization: the time has come to routinely consider removal.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 124: 596-599
- Prophylactic salpingectomy in premenopausal low-risk women for ovarian cancer: primum non nocere.Gynecol Oncol. 2013; 129: 448-451
- Short-term effects of salpingectomy during laparoscopic hysterectomy on ovarian reserve: a pilot randomized controlled trial.Fertil Steril. 2013; 100: 1704-1708
- Opportunistic salpingectomy: uptake, risks, and complications of a regional initiative for ovarian cancer prevention.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 471.e1-471.e11
- Characterization of tubal occlusion after transcervical polidocanol foam (PF) infusion in baboons.Contraception. 2015; 92: 96-102
- Blockade of tubal patency following transcervical administration of polidocanol foam: initial studies in rhesus macaques.Contraception. 2014; 89: 540-549
- Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012.Int J Cancer. 2015; 136: E359-E386
- High-grade serous ovarian cancer arises from fallopian tube in a mouse model.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012; 109: 3921-3926
- Trends in Contraceptive Use Worldwide 2015 (ST/ESA/SER.A/349).2015
- Essential Knowledge About Female Sterilization. Permanent Methods Toolkit.(Available:)Date: 2012
- Lessons from the recent rise in use of female sterilization in Malawi.Stud Fam Plann. 2013; 44: 85-95
- Global, regional, and national levels and trends in maternal mortality between 1990 and 2015, with scenario-based projections to 2030: a systematic analysis by the UN Maternal Mortality Estimation Inter-Agency Group.Lancet. 2016; 387: 462-474
- Trends in Maternal Mortality: 1990 to 2015 Executive Summary. Geneva, Switzerland.(Available)Date: 2015
Published online: September 09, 2016
Accepted: September 4, 2016
Received in revised form: August 9, 2016
Received: March 15, 2016
☆Funding: RLC and GSK are supported by grants from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and a cooperative agreement from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
☆☆Conflicts of Interest: None.
© 2016 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.