To investigate prescribing patterns of cyproterone acetate/ethinylestradiol (CPA/EE) in the United Kingdom before and after the 2013 prescribing guidance.
We conducted a retrospective descriptive study in UK general practice. The study population included women with a first prescription (index date) for CPA/EE in The Health Improvement Network in 2011 (N=2760), 2012 (N=2923) and 2014 (N=2341).
We evaluated the proportion of new CPA/EE users with (i) a diagnosis of a hyperandrogenic condition, menstrual problem, consultation for contraception management, and other acne treatment, in the year before the index date; and (ii) proportion of new CPA/EE users with concomitant use of another hormonal contraceptive (HC).
The percentage of CPA/EE new users with a record of a hyperandrogenic condition was 61% in 2011, 62% in 2012 and 63% in 2014. Corresponding percentages for acne were 51%, 54% and 55%, respectively. When manually reviewing patient records for a sample of CPA/EE new users (n=200), the acne was recorded in 77% of women, hirsutism in 9.5% and polycystic ovary syndrome in 9.5%. Majority of CPA/EE users had a prior acne diagnosis and/or treatment, 76% (n=2091) in 2011, 79% (n=2296) in 2012 and 78% (n=1834) in 2014. Concomitant use of CPA/EE and another HC was rare, 1% of CPA/EE users in 2011 and fewer than 0.5% of CPA/EE users in both 2012 and 2014.
Before and after 2013, the majority of UK women starting treatment with CPA/EE had a condition in line with its approved indication and had received prior acne treatment as per guidance.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- MREC.[Accessed 10 October 2016])
- A language of health in action: read codes, classifications and groupings.in: Proc AMIA Annu fall Symp. 1996: 75-79
- Generalisability of the health improvement network (THIN) database: demographics, chronic disease prevalence and mortality rates.Inform Prim Care. 2011; 19: 251-255
- Validation studies of The Health Improvement Network (THIN) database for pharmacoepidemiology research.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2007; 16: 393-401
- Use of prescription contraceptive methods in the UK general population: a primary care study.BJOG. 2014; 121: 53-60
- Study of long-acting reversible contraceptive use in a UK primary care database: validation of methodology.Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2014; 19: 22-28
- The continuation rates of long-acting reversible contraceptives in UK general practice using data from The Health Improvement Network.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2015; 24: 52-58
- Use of long-acting reversible contraceptives in the UK from 2004 to 2010: analysis using The Health Improvement Network database.Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2014; 19: 439-447
- Validity and completeness of colorectal cancer diagnoses in a primary care database in the United Kingdom.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2016; 25: 385-391
- Incidence of hemorrhagic stroke in the general population: validation of data from The Health Improvement Network.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2013; 22: 176-182
- Validation of ischemic cerebrovascular diagnoses in The Health Improvement Network (THIN).Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2010; 19: 579-585
- Validation of diabetic retinopathy and maculopathy diagnoses recorded in a U.K. primary care database.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 762-767
- Use of contraceptive services in Britain: findings from the second National Survey Of Sexual Attitudes And Lifestyles (Natsal-2).J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2009; 35: 9-14
- Prescribing patterns of combined hormonal products containing cyproterone acetate, levonorgestrel and drospirenone in the UK.J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2016; 20https://doi.org/10.1136/jfprhc-2015-101202
- Differences in the use of combined oral contraceptives amongst women with and without acne.Hum Reprod. 2003; 18: 515-521
- Co-cyprindiol prescribing in a large, rural general practice in England.J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care. 2012; 38: 41-43
- Medicine by media: did a critical television documentary affect the prescribing of cyproterone–estradiol (Diane-35)?.CMAJ. 2005; 173: 1313-1315
- Thromboembolic events in women exposed to hormonal contraception or cyproterone acetate in 2012: a cross-sectional observational study in 30 French public hospitals.Drug Saf. 2014; 37: 269-282
Published online: October 18, 2016
Accepted: October 12, 2016
Received in revised form: October 10, 2016
Received: July 27, 2016
☆Funding: This study was funded by Bayer Pharma AG.
☆☆Conflicts of interest: L.C.S. and L.A.G.R. work for Centro Español de Investigación Farmacoepidemiológica, which has received research funding from Bayer Pharma AG. L.A.G.R. has also served as an advisory board member for Bayer Pharma AG. A.A. is a salaried, full-time employee of Bayer Pharma AG.
© 2016 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.