We sought to review the effect of immediate provision of postpartum contraception on postpartum follow-up and screening for type 2 diabetes in women with gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM).
We performed multivariate logistic regression to identify the association between immediate provision of postpartum contraception and attendance at the 6-week postpartum visit and performance of a 6- to 12-week oral glucose tolerance test, controlling for age, type of insurance, parity and race.
Women who received contraception prior to hospital discharge were less likely to attend their postpartum visit [adjusted odds ratio (aOR) 0.59, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.39–0.88], but just as likely to participate in postpartum diabetes screening (adjusted odds ratio (aOR) 1.27, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.78–2.06). Attendance at the postpartum visit was associated with private insurance (OR 1.93, 95% CI 1.31–2.99).
Receiving contraception while admitted postpartum did not affect follow-up for diabetes screening for women with GDM.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
ACOG Practice Bulletin Number 121, July 2011. Long-acting reversible contraception: implants and intrauterine devices; 2011.
- Gestational diabetes and the incidence of type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: S141-S146
- After pregnancy complicated by diabetes: postpartum care and education.Obstet Gynecol Clin N Am. 2007; 34: 335-349
- How does gestational diabetes affect postpartum contraception in nondiabetic primiparous women?.Contraception. 2009; 79: 290-296
- Pregnancy outcomes in youth with type 2 diabetes: the TODAY study experience.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 122-129
- Original research: postpartum testing rates among women with a history of gestational diabetes — systematic review.Prim Care Diabetes. 2013; 7: 177-186
- Postpartum diabetes screening in women with a history of gestational diabetes.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 1297-1303
Published online: November 14, 2016
Accepted: November 7, 2016
Received in revised form: October 31, 2016
Received: July 26, 2016
© 2016 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.