We analyzed Twitter tweets and Twitter-provided user data to give geographical, temporal and content insight into the use of social media in the Planned Parenthood video controversy.
We randomly sampled the full Twitter repository (also known as the Firehose) (n=30,000) for tweets containing the phrase “planned parenthood” as well as group-defining hashtags “#defundpp” and “#standwithpp.” We used demographic content provided by the user and word analysis to generate charts, maps and timeline visualizations. Chi-square and t tests were used to compare differences in content, statistical references and dissemination strategies.
From July 14, 2015, to January 30, 2016, 1,364,131 and 795,791 tweets contained “#defundpp” and “#standwithpp,” respectively. Geographically, #defundpp and #standwithpp were disproportionally distributed to the US South and West, respectively. Word analysis found that early tweets predominantly used “sensational” words and that the proportion of “political” and “call to action” words increased over time. Scatterplots revealed that #standwithpp tweets were clustered and episodic compared to #defundpp. #standwithpp users were more likely to be female [odds ratio (OR) 2.2, confidence interval (CI) 2.0–2.4] and have fewer followers (median 544 vs. 1578, p<.0001). #standwithpp and #defundpp did not differ significantly in their usage of data in tweets. #defundpp users were more likely to link to websites (OR 1.8, CI 1.7–1.9) and to other online dialogs (mean 3.3 vs. 2.0 p<.0001).
Social media analysis can be used to characterize and understand the content, tempo and location of abortion-related messages in today's public spheres. Further research may inform proabortion efforts in terms of how information can be more effectively conveyed to the public.
This study has implications for how the medical community interfaces with the public with regards to abortion. It highlights how social media are actively exploited instruments for information and message dissemination. Researchers, providers and advocates should be monitoring social media and addressing the public through these modern channels.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Video accuses Planned Parenthood of crime.(n.d.)(accessed November 23, 2016)
- 2 Abortion foes behind Planned Parenthood videos are indicted — the New York Times.(n.d.)http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/us/2-abortion-foes-behind-planned-parenthood-videos-are-indicted.html(accessed July 25, 2016)
- “Planned Parenthood in crisis: social media strategies and frames.LSU master’s thesis. 2016; : 2836
- Quantifying controversy in social media.in: Proc. ninth ACM Int. Conf. Web search data min., ACM. 2016: 33-42
- From tweets to polls: linking text sentiment to public opinion time series.ICWSM. 2010; 11: 1-2
- Trending: the promises and the challenges of big social data.(http://www.manovich.net (accessed June 2, 2017))ManovichDate: 2011
- The virtual sphere the internet as a public sphere.New Media Soc. 2002; 4: 9-27
- Street 1615 L., NW, Washington S 800, inquiries D 20036 202 419 4300 | M 202 419 4349 | F 202 419 4372 | M. Twitter demographics. Pew res cent internet Sci tech 2015.http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/08/19/mobile-messaging-and-social-media-2015/2015-08-19_social-media-update_11/(accessed May 11, 2016)Date: 2015
- Company | about.(n.d.)https://about.twitter.com/company(accessed May 11, 2016)Date accessed: May 11, 2016
- The use of Twitter to track levels of disease activity and public concern in the U.S. during the influenza a H1N1 pandemic.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e19467https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0019467
- Twitter sentiment predicts affordable care act marketplace enrollment.J Med Internet Res. 2015; 17https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.3812
- Linking social media and medical record data: a study of adults presenting to an academic, urban emergency department.BMJ Qual Saf. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjqs-2015-004489
- A 61-million-person experiment in social influence and political mobilization.Nature. 2012; 489: 295-298https://doi.org/10.1038/nature11421
- Influence and passivity in social media.in: Jt. Eur. Conf. Mach. Learn. Knowl. Discov. Databases, Springer, 2011: 18-33
- Social media use and participation: a meta-analysis of current research.Inf Commun Soc. 2015; 18: 524-538https://doi.org/10.1080/1369118X.2015.1008542
- Ambient affiliation: a linguistic perspective on twitter.New Media Soc. 2011; 13: 788-806https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444810385097
- Publics and counterpublics.Quartely J Speech. 2002; 88: 413-425
- Social media tackles controversial issues | pew research center.(n.d.)(accessed June 7, 2016).
- Twitter reacts to second video exposing Planned Parenthood.(n.d.)(accessed November 23, 2016)
- A method of automated nonparametric content analysis for social science.Am J Polit Sci. 2010; 54: 229-247
- Klout score: measuring influence across multiple social networks.in: Big data big data 2015 IEEE Int. Conf. On, IEEE. 2015: 2282-2289
- Measuring influence on TWITTER.in: Proc. 11th Int. Conf. Knowl. Manag. Knowl. Technol. ACM, New York, NY, USA2011: 31:1-31:4https://doi.org/10.1145/2024288.2024326
- 2010 geographic terms and concepts — census divisions and census regions.(n.d.)(accessed October 20, 2016)
- Bots,# strongerin, and# brexit: computational propaganda during the UK-EU referendum.(Available SSRN 2798311)2016
- From networked nominee to networked nation: examining the impact of web 2.0 and social media on political participation and civic engagement in the 2008 Obama campaign.J Polit Mark. 2011; 10: 189-213https://doi.org/10.1080/15377857.2011.540224
- Finding the twitter users who stood with Wendy.Contraception. 2014; 90: 502-507https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2014.07.007
- et al..Should we worry about filter bubbles? Social Science Research Network, Rochester, NY2016
- Exposure to ideologically diverse news and opinion on Facebook.Science. 2015; 348: 1130-1132https://doi.org/10.1126/science.aaa1160
Pazol K, Creanga AA, Jamieson DJ, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Abortion surveillance — United States, 2012. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep Surveill Summ Wash DC 2002 2015;64:1–40. doi:10.15585/ss6410a1.
- Abortion-related mortality in the United States: 1998–2010.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 126: 258-265https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000000945
- Social media for large studies of behavior.Science. 2014; 346: 1063-1064https://doi.org/10.1126/science.346.6213.1063
- Street 1615 L., NW, Washington S 800, inquiries D 20036 202 419 4300 | M 202 419 4349 | F 202 419 4372 | M. Twitter users. Pew res cent internet Sci Tech 2015.http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/01/09/social-media-update-2014/pi_2015-01-09_social-media-new_01/(accessed July 13, 2016)Date: 2015
- How does the data sampling strategy impact the discovery of information diffusion in social media?.ICWSM. 2010; 10: 34-41
- Why map issues? On controversy analysis as a digital method.Sci Technol Hum Values. 2015; 40: 655-686https://doi.org/10.1177/0162243915574602
- Exploring challenges, progress, and new models for engaging the public in the clinical research enterprise: clinical research roundtable workshop summary. National Academies Press, Washington, D.C.2003
- North Carolina's anti-LGBT law could cost the state millions in lost revenue | US news | The Guardian.(n.d.)https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/19/north-carolina-anti-lgbt-law-bathroom-bill-hb2-economic-losses(accessed July 14, 2016)
- Democrats stage sit-in on house floor to force gun vote. POLITICO.(n.d.)http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/democrats-stage-sit-in-on-house-floor-to-force-gun-vote-224656(accessed July 14, 2016)
- Nearly 1 million babies killed by Planned Parenthood last year according to abortion Giant | RedState.(n.d.)http://www.redstate.com/brandon_morse/2016/07/14/nearly-1-million-babies-killed-planned-parenthood-last-year-according-abortion-giant/(accessed July 14, 2016)
Published online: September 01, 2017
Accepted: August 23, 2017
Received in revised form: June 4, 2017
Received: November 27, 2016
© 2017 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.