Transgender men need contraception if engaging in intercourse with a cis-gender male partner. The copper IUD is an effective, non-hormonal contraceptive well suited for trans-males even while utilizing gender affirming hormone therapy. A gender-neutral medical facility with well-trained and sensitive staff is the ideal setting to provide such contraceptive care.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- How many people are lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender?.University of California, School of Law, The Williams InstituteApril 2011
- Sexual Minority Youth.Prim Care Clin Office Pract. 2014; 41: 651-669
- Transgender Men Who Experienced Pregnancy after Female-to-Male Gender Transitioning.Obstet Gynecol. December 2014; 124: 1120-1127https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000000540
- Contraceptive use and pregnancy intentions among transgender men presenting to a clinic for sex workers and their families in San Francisco.Contraception. Feb 2017; 95: 186-189https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2016.09.005
Contraception for Adolescents Policy Statement. American Academy of Pediatrics. Pediatrics; 134 (4): e1244-e1256.
- Implants and Intrauterine Devices. Committee Opinion. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee on Adolescent Health Care and Long-Acting Reversible Contraception Working Group.No. October 2012; : 539
- Gynecologic care of the female-to-male transgender man.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2008 Jul-Aug; 53: 331-337https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmwh.2008.02.003
Published online: February 25, 2018
Accepted: February 19, 2018
Received in revised form: February 13, 2018
Received: November 16, 2017
© 2018 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.