Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division. Annual Estimates of the Resident Population by Sex, Race Alone or in Combination, and Hispanic Origin for the United States, States, and Counties: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2018, https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk; [accessed June 2019].
Pew Research Center, Washington D.C. “The challenges of polling Asian Americans.” http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/05/11/the-challenges-of-polling-asian-americans/; May 11, 2016 [accessed June 2019].
- Influences of culture on Asian Americans' sexuality.J Sex Res. 2002; 39: 34-41
- Sexual behavior and contraceptive and condom use among U.S. high school students, 2013–2017.Guttmacher Institute, New York2018
- Neighborhood context and sexual behaviors among adolescents: findings from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health.Perspect Sex Repro H. 2005; 37: 125-134
- Racial and ethnic disparities in health care for adolescents: A systematic review of the literature.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2003; 157: 867-874
- Young age at first sexual intercourse and sexually transmitted infections in adolescents and young adults.Am J Epidemiol. 2005; 161: 774-780
Yi V, Museus SD. Model minority myth. In: The Wiley Blackwell encyclopedia of race, ethnicity, and nationalism. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd; 2015
Kann L, McManus T, Harris WA, et al. Youth risk behavior surveillance – United States, 2017. MMWR Surveill Summ 2018; 67(8): 1–114.
- Prevalence of health-risk behaviors among Asian American and Pacific Islander high school students in the U.S., 2001–2007.Public Health Rep. 2011; 126: 39-49
- Prevalence of health risk behaviors among Asian American/Pacific Islander high school students.J Adolesc Health. 2000; 27: 322-330
U.S. Census Bureau. Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month: May 2011. Facts for Features, https://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/facts_for_features_special_editions/cb11-ff06.html; April 29, 2011 [accessed June 2019].
Runes, C. “‘Invisibility is an unnatural disaster’: Why funding the 2020 Census matters for Pacific Islanders.” Urban Institute, Washington D.C, https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/invisibility-unnatural-disaster-why-funding-2020-census-matters-pacific-islanders; May 11, 2017 [accessed June 2019].
- Methodology of the youth risk behavior surveillance system – 2013.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2013; 62: 1-20
CDC National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Division of Adolescent and School Health. Software for Analysis of YRBS Data, https://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/data/yrbs/pdf/2017/2017_YRBS_analysis_software.pdf; June 2018 [accessed June 2019].
SAS Institute Inc. 2013. SAS® 9.4 Statements: Reference. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc.
- Improving public health surveillance about Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 827-828
- Methodological issues in the collection, analysis, and reporting of granular data in Asian American populations: historical challenges and potential solutions.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2010; 21: 1354-1381
- Sexual activity and other risk-taking behaviors among Asian-American adolescents.J Pediatr Adol Gynec. 2007; 20: 29-34
- Committee Opinion No. 729: Importance of social determinants of health and cultural awareness in the delivery of reproductive health care.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 131: e43-e48
- Sexual and reproductive health care: a position paper of the Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine.J Adolesc Health. 2014; 54: 491-496
Hagan JF, Shaw JS, Duncan PM, eds. Bright futures: guidelines for health supervision of infants, children, and adolescents. 4th ed. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics, https://brightfutures.aap.org/Bright%20Futures%20Documents/BF4_Introduction.pdf; 2017 [accessed June 2019].
Gavin L, Moskosky S, Carter M et al. Providing quality family planning services: recommendations of CDC and the U.S. Office of Population Affairs. MMWR 2014;63(RR04):1–29. https://www.cdc.gov/mmWr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr6304a1.htm [accessed June 2019].
- GAPS (AMA Guidelines for Adolescent Preventive Services): where are the gaps?.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1997; 151: 123-128
- Truth or consequences: the intertemporal consistency of adolescent self-report on the Youth Risk Behavior Survey.Am J Epidemiol. 2009; 169: 1388-1397
- The sexual and reproductive health of foreign-born women in the United States.Contraception. 2018; 98: 47-51
☆Declaration of Competing Interests: The authors declare that they have no known competing financial interests or personal relationships that could have appeared to influence the work reported in this paper.