Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. 2020 Medicaid & CHIP enrollment data. Available at: https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/program-information/medicaid-and-chip-enrollment-data/report-highlights/index.html.
U.S. Supreme Court. Atkins v. Rivera, 477 U.S. 154, 156-57 (1986). Available from: https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/477/154/.
Congress. U.S. Code § 1396a(a)(23)(C). State plans for medical assistance. Available from: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/1396a.
Congress. U.S. Code §1396u-2. Provisions relating to managed care. Available from: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/42/438.812.
U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, 2017 share of Medicaid enrollees in managed care. Available at: https://data.medicaid.gov/Enrollment/2017-Share-of-Medicaid-Enrollees-in-Managed-Care/ikdz-jh6q (last visited January 14, 2021)
Congress. U.S. Code § 1396a(a)(25)(C). State plans for medical assistance. Available from: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/1396a
Congress. U.S. Code §§ 447.15, 447.20. Acceptance of State payment as payment in full. Available from: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/42/447.15.
- Impacts of Medicaid expansion on health among women of reproductive age.Am J Prev Med. 2020; 58: 1-11
- Association of Medicaid expansion with access to abortion services for women with low incomes in Oregon.Women's Health Issues, 2020 (ISSN 1049-3867)
- “Table 4.4: Aggregate hospital payment-to-cost ratios for private payers, Medicare,”.Trendwatch chartbook. American Hospital Association, Chicago, IL2015
- The effects of Medicaid reimbursement on the access to care of Medicaid enrollees: a community perspective.Med Care Res Rev. 2005; 62: 676-696
- Appointment availability after increases in Medicaid payments for primary care.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 537-545
- The effect of Medicaid payment generosity on access and use among beneficiaries.Health Serv Res. 2005; 40: 723-744
- Medicaid reimbursement, prenatal care and infant health.J Health Econ. 2015; 44: 10-24
- Do Medicaid physician fees for prenatal services affect birth out-comes?.J Health Econ. 2001; 20: 571-590
- Abortion incidence and service availability in the United States, 2017.Guttmacher Institute, 2019 (Available at: https://www.guttmacher.org/report/abortion-incidence-service-availability-us-2017#)
- Lifetime prevalence of self-induced abortion among a nationally representative sample of U.S. women.Contraception. 2018; 97: 460
- Medication abortion and the changing abortion landscape.Guttmacher Institute, 2019 (Available at:)
American Civil Liberties Union. Access denied: origins of the Hyde Amendment and other restrictions on public funding for abortion. Available at: https://www.aclu.org/other/access-denied-origins-hyde-amendment-and-other-restrictions-public-funding-abortion
U.S. Department of Defense and Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education Appropriations Act, 2019 and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2019, Pub. L. No. 115-245, 132 Stat. 2981, 3118, §§ 506-07 (2018) (the Hyde Amendment). Available from: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/6157/text.
Guttmacher Institute. Medicaid coverage of abortion. State laws and policies. 2021. Available at: https://www.guttmacher.org/evidence-you-can-use/medicaid-coverage-abortion
- EACH Woman Act offers bold path toward equitable abortion coverage.Guttmacher Institute, 2019 (Available from:)https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2019/03/each-woman-act-offers-bold-path-toward-equitable-abortion-coverage
U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, State Medicaid Manual: Chapter 4 § 4332.B. Available from: https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Manuals/Paper-Based-Manuals-Items/CMS021927
- Medicaid: CMS action needed to ensure compliance with abortion coverage requirements.GAO-19-159: Published:, 2019 (Available at:)
Legal Institute. U.S. Code § 1396r-8. Payment for covered outpatient drugs. Available from: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/1396r-8.
- When states fail to cover abortions under Medicaid, NHelp steps.National Health Law Program, 2019 (Available at:)
- Abortion providers' experiences with Medicaid abortion coverage policies: a qualitative multistate study.Health Serv Res. 2013; 48: 236-252
- Contextualizing Medicaid reimbursement rates for abortion procedures.Contraception. 2020; 102: 195-200
- A mystery caller evaluation of Medicaid staff responses about state coverage of abortion care.Women's Health Issues. 2012; 22: e143-e148
- Medicaid funding for abortion: providers' experiences with cases involving rape, incest, and life endangerment.Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2010; 42: 79-86
Kimport K and Rowland B. Taking insurance in abortion care: policy, practices, and the role of poverty, in: Jacobs Kronenfeld J, Health and health care concerns among women and racial and ethnic minorities, research in the sociology of health care, 35, Bingley, UK: Emerald Publishing. 2017; 39–57
- Adoption of no-test and telehealth medication abortion care among independent abortion providers in response to COVID-19.Contracept X. 2020; 2100049
- COVID-19 FAQs for obstetricians-gynecologists, gynecology.ACOG, Washington, DC2020 (Available at:)
- National Abortion Federation.Clinical policy guidelines, Washington DC2020
American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists v. FDA, Civil Action No. TDC-20-1320 (2020). Available from: https://casetext.com/case/am-coll-of-obstetricians-gynecologists-v-us-food-drug-admin-1.
California Department of Health Care Services. Medi-Cal: important news about women's health services. 2020. Available at: https://files.medi-cal.ca.gov/pubsdoco/newsroom/newsroom_30339_77.aspx
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prepare your practice for COVID-19. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/preparedness-resources.html
Center for Connected Health Policy. Telehealth coverage policies in the time of COVID-19. Available at: https://www.cchpca.org/resources/covid-19-telehealth-coverage-policies
Klein A. Preventing and responding to sexual violence in disasters: a planning guide for prevention and response. Louisiana Foundation Against Sexual Assault and National Sexual Violence Resource Center. 2012 Available at: https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/2012-04/Publications_NSVRC_Guides_Sexual-Violence-in-Disasters_A-planning-guide-for-prevention-and-response_0.pdf
- Gender-based violence during COVID-19 pandemic: a mini-review.Front Glob Women's Health. 2020; 1: 4
- Safety of aspiration abortion performed by nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, and physician assistants under a California legal waiver.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: 454-461
- COVID-19 brings changes to nurse practitioner scope of practice.Am J Nurs. 2020; 20 (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32732465/): 14
- Effects of regulation and payment policies on nurse practitioners' clinical practices.Med Care Res Rev. 2017; 74: 431-451
All Above All. EACH ACT Fact Sheet Available from: https://allaboveall.org/resource/each-woman-act-fact-sheet/.
- Telemedicine for family planning: a scoping review.Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2020; 47: 287-316
- Improving access to abortion via telehealth.Guttmacher Institute, 2019 (Available at:)
- Estimating the proportion of Medicaid-eligible pregnant women in Louisiana who do not get abortions when Medicaid does not cover abortion.BMC Women's Health. 2019; 19: 78
- State abortion policies and Medicaid coverage of abortion are associated with pregnancy outcomes among individuals seeking abortion recruited using Google Ads: a national cohort study.Soc Sci Med. 2021; (Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33642070)113747https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2021.113747
- Socioeconomic outcomes of women who receive and women who are denied wanted abortions.Am J Public Health. 2018; 108: 407-413
- Effect of an unwanted pregnancy carried to term on existing children's health, development, and care.Contraception. 2014; 90: 305