Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
- Cancer statistics for the year 2020: An overview.Int J Cancer. 2021; 149: 778-789
- Epidemiologic classification of human papillomavirus types associated with cervical cancer.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 518-527
- Towards the global elimination of cervical cancer.Papillomavirus Res. 2019; 8100170
- Global strategies for cervical cancer prevention and screening.Minerva Ginecol. 2019; 71: 313-320
- Effect of oral contraceptives on risk of cervical cancer in women with human papillomavirus infection: the IARC multicentric case-control study.Lancet. 2002; 359: 1085-1092
- Combined estrogen-progestogen contraceptives and combined estrogen-progestogen menopausal therapy.IARC Monogr Eval Carcinog Risks Hum. 2007; 91: 1-528
- Cervical cancer and hormonal contraceptives: collaborative reanalysis of individual data for 16,573 women with cervical cancer and 35,509 women without cervical cancer from 24 epidemiological studies.Lancet. 2007; 370: 1609-1621
- Cervical cancer and use of hormonal contraceptives: a systematic review.Lancet. 2003; 361: 1159-1167
- Functional association of oestrogen receptors with HPV infection in cervical carcinogenesis.Endocr Relat Cancer. 2017; 24: R99-R108
- Oral contraceptive use and risk of breast, cervical, colorectal, and endometrial cancers: a systematic review.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2013; 22: 1931-1943
- The interaction between steroid hormones, human papillomavirus type 16, E6 oncogene expression, and cervical cancer.Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2003; 13: 834-842
- Effect of progestins on immunity: medroxyprogesterone but not norethisterone or levonorgestrel suppresses the function of T cells and pDCs.Contraception. 2014; 90: 123-129
- Human papillomavirus infection and cervical dysplasia in HIV-positive women: potential role of the vaginal microbiota.AIDS. 2020; 34: 115-125
United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs Population Division. Contraceptive Use by Method 2019: Data Booklet. https://digitallibrary.un.org/record/3849735 [Accessed April 1, 2020).
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6e1000097
- Human papillomavirus testing with the hybrid capture 2 assay and PCR as screening tools.J Clin Microbiol. 2004; 42: 2470-2475
- [Individualization of low-dose oral contraceptives. Pharmacological principles and practical indications for oral contraceptives].Minerva Ginecol. 2007; 59: 415-425
- Contraceptive use among U.S. women having abortions in 2000-2001.Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2002; 34: 294-303
- Rayyan-a web and mobile app for systematic reviews.Syst Rev. 2016; 5: 210
Wells GA, Shea B, O'Connell D, Peterson J, Welch V, Losos M, et al. The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for assessing the quality of non randomised studies in meta-analyses. http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.asp [Accessed April 1, 2020].
- Hormonal contraceptives and the acquisition of sexually transmitted infections: an updated systematic 4eview.Sex Transm Dis. 2019; 46: 290-296
- A prospective study of high-grade cervical neoplasia risk among human papillomavirus-infected women.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2002; 94: 1406-1414
- Hormonal contraceptive use, pregnancy and parity, and the risk of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia 3 among oncogenic HPV DNA-positive women with equivocal or mildly abnormal cytology.Int J Cancer. 2005; 117: 1007-1012
- Sexual behaviour and smoking as determinants of cervical HPV infection and of CIN3 among those infected: a case-control study nested within the Manchester cohort.Br J Cancer. 2000; 83: 1565-1572
- Short-term risk of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grades 2 and 3 for women with normal cytology and human papillomavirus infection.Salud Publica Mex. 2010; 52: 486-492
- Parity as a cofactor for high-grade cervical disease among women with persistent human papillomavirus infection: a 13-year follow-up.Br J Cancer. 2013; 108: 234-239
- Association of combined tobacco smoking and oral contraceptive use with cervical intraepithelial neoplasia 2 or 3 in Korean women.J Epidemiol. 2016; 26: 22-29
- The influence of hormonal factors on the risk of developing cervical cancer and pre-cancer: results from the EPIC cohort.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0147029
- Oral contraceptives are not an independent risk factor for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia or high-risk human papillomavirus infections.Anticancer Res. 2006; 26: 4729-4740
- Covariates of high-risk human papillomavirus (HPV) infections are distinct for incident CIN1, CIN2 and CIN3 as disclosed by competing-risks regression models.Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2012; 33: 5-14
- Misreporting of contraceptive hormone use in clinical research participants.Contraception. 2018; 97: 346-353
- Predictors of contraceptive switching and discontinuation within the first 6 months of use among Highly Effective Reversible Contraceptive Initiative Salt Lake study participants.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 220 (e1- e12): 376
- Evidence for frequent regression of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia-grade 2.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 113: 18-25
- How increased contraceptive use has reduced maternal mortality.Matern Child Health J. 2010; 14: 687-695
Funding: This work was supported in part by the National Institutes of Health [Einstein-Rockefeller-CUNY Center for AIDS Research, Grant 5P30AI124414] as salary support for HEJ, and the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development [Office of Research on Women's Health, Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health, Grant 2K12 HD052163] as salary support for LR.