Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Ibis Reproductive Health, Center for Reproductive Rights. Evaluating Priorities. Ibis Reproductive Health; 2021. Available at: https://evaluatingpriorities.org. Accessed July 2, 2021.
- State facts about abortion: Mississippi.Guttmacher Institute, New York, N.Y.2021 (Available at)Accessed July 2, 2021)
- Title V Maternal and Child Health 2020 needs assessment, data brief 2, Maternal/women's health domain.Mississippi State Department of Health, Jackson, MS2020 (Available at)Accessed May 27, 2021)
- Nowhere to go: Maternity care deserts across the U.S., 2020 report.March of Dimes, Arlington, VA2020 (Available at)Accessed June 26, 2021)
- Percent of total population in poverty.Economic Research Service, Washington, D.C.: U.S2019 (Department of Agriculture; 2021Available at)Accessed July 2, 2021)
- The Mississippi Black Women's Roundtable. Women driving change: A pathway to a better Mississippi.National Women's Law Center, Washington, D.C2019
Mason CN. Unequal lives: The state of Black women in the rural South. Jackson, MS: Southern Rural Black Women's Initiative; n.d. Available at: http://srbwi.org/images/uploads/45553_Report_Final-LR.pdf. Accessed July 2, 2021.
- Access to abortion in central Appalachian states: Examining county of residence and county-level attributes.Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2018; 50: 165-172
- Characteristics and circumstances of U.S. women who obtain very early and second-trimester abortions.PLOS ONE. 2017; 12 (doi:)e0169969https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0169969
- Factors associated with abortion at 12 or more weeks' gestation after implementation of a restrictive Texas law.Contraception. 2020; 102: 314-317
- Change in second-trimester abortion after implementation of a restrictive state law.Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 133: 771
- Legal barriers to second-trimester abortion and public health consequences.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: 623-630
- Disparities and change over time in distance women would need to travel to have an abortion in the USA: A spatial analysis.Lancet Public Health. 2017; 2: e493-e500
- Counseling and waiting periods for abortion.Guttmacher Institute, New York, N.Y.2021 (Available at)Accessed July 3, 2021)
- The impact of Mississippi's mandatory delay law on the timing of abortion.Fam Plann Perspect. 2000; 32: 4-13
- New evidence on the effects of mandatory waiting periods for abortion.National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MA2019
- Abortion patients’ preferences for care and experiences accessing services in Louisiana.Contracept X. 2020; 2100016
- Experiences accessing abortion care in Alabama among women traveling for services.Womens Health Issues. 2016; 26: 298-304
Mississippi State Legislature, Gestational Age Act, HB 1510, 2018. Available at: https://legiscan.com/MS/text/HB1510/2018. Accessed July 2, 2021.
- National Academies of Sciences. The safety and quality of abortion care in the United States.The National Academies Press, Washington, D.C.2018
- Mississippi 15-week abortion ban is blocked by appeals court.Assoc Press. 2019; (Available at) (Accessed June 30, 2021)
- Abortions distributed by state. 2020. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA2018 (Available at)Accessed June 30, 2021)
- Cervical dilation before first-trimester surgical abortion (<14 weeks’ gestation).Contraception. 2016; 93: 277-291
- A simple command to calculate travel distance and travel time.Stata J. 2017; 17: 962-971
- Distance traveled to obtain clinical abortion care in the United States and reasons for clinic choice.J Womens Health. 2019; 28: 1623-1631
- Area deprivation and widening inequalities in US mortality, 1969–1998.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 1137-1143
- Neighborhood socioeconomic disadvantage and 30-day rehospitalization.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 161: 765-774
- Effect of cross-level interaction between individual and neighborhood socioeconomic status on adult mortality rates.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 2145-2153
- Health Resources & Services Administration. Area Health Resource Files.Health Resources & Services Administration, Washington, D.C2018 (Available at)Accessed June 18, 2021)
- Distribution of American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Fellows and Junior Fellows in practice in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 119: 1017-1022
- Structural racism and maternal health among Black women.J Law Med Ethics. 2020; 48: 506-517
- Parental involvement policies for minors seeking abortion in the Southeast and quality of care.Sex Res Soc Policy. 2021; (Doi:)https://doi.org/10.1007/s13178-021-00539-0
- Massachusetts’ parental consent law and procedural timing among adolescents undergoing abortion.Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 133: 978-986
- Trends in self-pay costs and insurance acceptance for abortion across the United States.Contraception. 2021; 103 (2017 to 2020): 375
- Sociodemographic and service use characteristics of abortion fund cases from six states in the U.S. Southeast.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021; 18 (doi:)https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18073813
- The undue burden of paying for abortion: An exploration of abortion fund cases.Soc Work Health Care. 2017; 56: 99-114
- Maternal-fetal medicine workforce in the United States.Am J Perinatol. 2012; 29: 741-746
- Association of travel distance to nearest abortion facility with rates of abortion.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e2115530
- State bans on abortion throughout pregnancy.Guttmacher Institute, New York, N.Y.2021 (Available at:)Accessed July 3, 2021)
- Ban on abortions after 15 weeks signed into law in Louisiana, but there's one hurdle left.The Advocate. 2018; (Available at) (Accessed July 3, 2021)https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/politics/legislature/article_fac56312-6435-11e8-b451-275614090005.html
- Predictors of delay in each step leading to an abortion.Contraception. 2008; 77: 289-293
Funding: This project was supported by grants from the David and Lucile Packard Foundation (2018-67490) and an anonymous foundation, and a center grant from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (P2C HD042849) awarded to the Population Research Center at The University of Texas at Austin. The funders played no role in the design and conduct of the study; interpretation of the data; or preparation, review, or approval of this manuscript for publication.
Conflict of Interest: The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.