Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
UNAIDS. Global HIV & AIDS statistics — 2020 fact sheet n.d. Available at: https://www.unaids.org/en/resources/fact-sheet (Accessed November 20, 2020).
- Unintended pregnancy in sub-Saharan Africa: magnitude of the problem and potential role of contraceptive implants to alleviate it.Contraception. 2008; 78: 73-78https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2008.03.002
- Unintended pregnancy, contraceptive use, and childbearing desires among HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected women in Botswana: across-sectional study.BMC Public Health. 2016; 16: 44https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-015-2498-3
- Mobility among youth in Rakai, Uganda: trends, characteristics, and associations with behavioural risk factors for HIV.Glob Public Health. 2017; 12: 1033-1050https://doi.org/10.1080/17441692.2015.1074715
- International Organization for Migration. 2019; 2020 (World migration report)
UNAIDS. Condoms. UNAIDS 2020. https://www.unaids.org (accessed October 14, 2022).
- Consistent condom use among highly effective contraceptive users in an HIV-endemic area in rural Kenya.PLoS One. 2019; 14e0216208https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0216208
Kenya National Bureau of Statistics, Ministry of Health/Kenya, National AIDS Control Council/Kenya, Kenya Medical Research Institute, and National Council for Population and Development/Kenya. 2015. Kenya Demographic and Health Survey 2014. Rockville, MD, USA:. Available at http://dhsprogram.com/pubs/pdf/FR308/FR308.pdf.
World Health Organization. Family planning/contraception methods n.d. Available at: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/family-planning-contraception (Accessed December 11, 2020).
- Estimating progress towards meeting women's contraceptive needs in 185 countries: a Bayesian hierarchical modelling study.PLoS Med. 2020; 17e1003026https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1003026
United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. 2019. Family Planning and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development: Data Booklet. https://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/publications/pdf/family/familyPlanning_DataBooklet_2019.pdf. https://doi.org/10.18356/e154e49d-en.
- Contraceptive characteristics of women living with HIV in the Kumasi Metropolis, Ghana.Int J MCH AIDS. 2013; 2: 111-120
- Utilization of dual contraception method among reproductive age women on antiretroviral therapy in selected public hospitals of Northern Ethiopia.Reprod Health. 2017; 14: 125https://doi.org/10.1186/s12978-017-0390-6
- Indicators of mobility, socio-economic vulnerabilities and HIV risk behaviours among mobile female sex workers in India.AIDS Behav. 2012; 16: 952-959https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-011-9937-7
- Gendered dimensions of population mobility associated with HIV across three epidemics in rural Eastern Africa.Health Place. 2019; 57: 339-351https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2019.05.002
- Population mobility associated with higher risk sexual behaviour in eastern African communities participating in a Universal Testing and Treatment trial.J Int AIDS Soc. 2018; 21: e25115https://doi.org/10.1002/jia2.25115
- HIV testing and treatment with the use of a community health approach in rural Africa.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 219-229https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1809866
- A comparison of four condom-use measures in predicting pregnancy, cervicalSTI and HIV incidence among Zimbabwean women.Sex Transm Infect. 2010; 86: 231-235https://doi.org/10.1136/sti.2009.036731
- A definition of modern contraceptive methods.Contraception. 2015; 92: 420-421https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2015.08.008
- The relationship history calendar: improving the scope and quality of data on youth sexual behavior.Demography. 2011; 48: 1151-1176https://doi.org/10.1007/s13524-011-0051-2
- She mixes her business”: HIV transmission and acquisition risks among female migrants in western Kenya.Soc Sci Med. 2014; 102: 146-156https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2013.11.004
- Determining the level of condom use and associated factors among married people in Tshwane District of South Africa.Pan Afr Med J. 2021; 40: 11https://doi.org/10.11604/pamj.2021.40.11.26681
- The role of relationship types on condom use among urban men with concurrent partners in Ghana and Tanzania.AIDS Care. 2015; 27: 466-472https://doi.org/10.1080/09540121.2014.969675
- Sexual partnership concurrency and age disparities associated with sexually transmitted infection (STI) and risk behavior in rural communities in Kenya and Uganda.Int J Infect Dis. 2022; 120 (S1201-9712(22)00240-5): 158-167https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2022.04.038
- Coital frequency and condom use in age-disparate partnerships involving women aged 15 to 24: evidence from a cross-sectional study in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e024362https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-024362
- HIV status and contraceptive utilization among women in Cameroon.J Int Assoc Provid AIDS Care. 2019; 18: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1177/2325958219826596
- Trends in contraceptive prevalence in sub-Saharan Africa: the roles of family planning programs and education.Afr J Reprod Health. 2019; 23: 96-105https://doi.org/10.29063/ajrh2019/v23i3.9
- Dual method use among postpartum HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected Malawian women: a prospective cohort study.Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 20171475813https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/1475813
- Prevalence of dual contraceptive use and associated factors among HIV positive women at University of Gondar Hospital, Northwest Ethiopia.BMC Res Notes. 2019; 12: 36https://doi.org/10.1186/s13104-019-4053-2
- On the road again: concurrency and condom use among Uganda truck drivers.Afr J AIDS Res. 2015; 14: 117-125https://doi.org/10.2989/16085906.2015.1040810
Temin M, Montgomery M, Engebretsen S, Barker K. Girls on the Move: Adolescent Girls & Migration in the Developing World. New York, NY. Population Council; 2013. doi:10.31899/pgy11.1007.
- When girls take the lead: adolescent girls’ migration in Mali.Population. 2017; 72: 63-92
- Young women's migrations in Mali: exploitation or emancipation?.Travail Genre Et Soc. 2011; 25: 23 to 40
- Measuring men's gender norm beliefs related to contraception: development of the masculine norms and family planning acceptance scale.Arch Sex Behav. 2021; 50: 2691-2702https://doi.org/10.1007/s10508-021-01941-w
- Partner support for family planning and modern contraceptive use in Luanda, Angola.Afr J Reprod Health. 2017; 21: 35-48https://doi.org/10.29063/ajrh2017/v21i2.5
Conflict of interest: The authors declare that they have no known competing financial interests or personal relationships that could have appeared to influence the work reported in this article.
Funding: This study was supported by grants from the National Institutes of Health , NIMH under award number R01MH104132 (Camlin, Mobility in SEARCH), and the NIAID under award number U01AI099959 (Havlir, SEARCH). SAG was supported by the National Institutes of Mental Health of the U.S. Public Health Service under grant T32 MH19105 .The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.