Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Committee opinion no. 654: reproductive life planning to reduce unintended pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 127: e66-e69https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000001314
- Recommendations to improve preconception health and health care–United States. A report of the CDC/ATSDR preconception care work group and the select panel on preconception care.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2006; 55: 1-23
Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy people 2020 topics and objectives: family planning, http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/family-planning; 2022 (accessed April 22, 2022).
- Addressing organizational barriers to adolescent access to high-quality, low-cost, confidential sexual and reproductive health services in a community health center.Health Promot Pract. 2021; (Published online January 15)1524839920985505https://doi.org/10.1177/1524839920985505
- Factors affecting contraception access and use in patients with opioid use disorder.J Clin Pharmacol. 2020; 60: S63-S73https://doi.org/10.1002/jcph.1772
- Perceptions of barriers to effective family planning services among women with disabilities.Disabil Health J. 2021; 14101055https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dhjo.2020.101055
- Perceived barriers and facilitators to accessing and utilizing sexual and reproductive healthcare for people who experience homelessness: a systematic review.BMJ Sex Reprod Health. 2021; 47: 211-220https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjsrh-2020-200799
- Socioeconomic differences persist in use of permanent vs long-acting reversible contraception: an analysis of the National Survey of Family Growth, 2006 to 2010 vs 2015 to 2017.Contraception. 2021; 103: 246-254https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2020.12.008
- Impact of state-level reproductive health legislation on access to and use of reproductive health services and reproductive health outcomes: a systematic scoping review in the affordable care act era.Womens Health Issues. 2020; 31: 114-121https://doi.org/10.1016/j.whi.2020.11.005
- Sexual orientation differences in pregnancy and abortion across the lifecourse.Women's Health Issues. 2020; 30: 65-72https://doi.org/10.1016/j.whi.2019.10.007
- https://cornerstone.lib.mnsu.edu/etds/1091/ (accessed April 22, 2022).
- Disparities and change over time in distance women would need to travel to have an abortion in the USA: a spatial analysis.Lancet Public Health. 2017; 2: e493-e500https://doi.org/10.1016/S2468-2667(17)30158-5
- Distance traveled to obtain clinical abortion care in the United States and reasons for clinic choice.J Women's Health (Larchmt). 2019; 28: 1623-1631https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2018.7496
- ACOG committee opinion no. 586: health disparities in rural women.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 384-388https://doi.org/10.1097/01.AOG.0000443278.06393.d6
- Trends in the provision of preventive women's health services by family physicians.Fam Med. 2011; 43: 166-171
- The family physician workforce: the special case of rural populations.Am Fam Physician. 2005; 72: 147
- v. Jackson Women's Health Organization et. al. 597. State Health Officer of the Mississippi Department of Health, 2022
- Patient opinions on sexual and reproductive health services in primary care in rural and urban clinics.Contraception. 2022; 114 (Epub 2022 Apr 27. PMID: 35489391): 26-31https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2022.04.009
- https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/rural-urban-continuum-codes.aspx (accessed April 22, 2022)
- Evaluating the development, implementation and dissemination of a multisite card study in the WWAMI region practice and research network.Clin Transl Sci. 2015; 8: 764-769https://doi.org/10.1111/cts.12312
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010
- The REDCap consortium: building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95103208https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2019.103208
Wood S, Strasser J, Sharac J, Wylie J, Tran T, Rosenbaum S. Community health centers and family planning in an era of policy uncertainty, https://www.kff.org/report-section/community-health-centers-and-family-planning-in-an-era-of-policy-uncertainty-report; 2018 (accessed April 22, 2022).
- https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/09/30/764795892/a-biopsy-came-with-an-unexpected-2-170-cover-charge-for-the-hospital (accessed April 22, 2022).
- Patient perspectives on quality family planning services in underserved areas.Patient Exp J. 2017; 4: 54-65https://doi.org/10.35680/2372-0247.1194
- Integrating reproductive planning with primary health care: an exploration among low-income, minority women and men.Sex Reprod Healthc. 2010; 1: 37-43https://doi.org/10.1016/j.srhc.2010.01.001
- Primary care patients’ preferences for reproductive health service needs assessment and service availability in New York federally qualified health centers.Contraception. 2020; 101: 226-230https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2019.12.003
- Physician density by specialty type in urban and rural counties in the US, 2010 to 2017.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e2033994https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.33994
- Women's preferences for the location of abortion services: a pilot study in two Chicago clinics.Matern Child Health J. 2012; 16: 212-216https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-010-0722-4
- Patient attitudes toward early abortion services in the family medicine clinic.J Am Board Fam Med. 2008; 21: 162-164https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2008.02.070158
- Abortion incidence and service availability In the United States, 2014.Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2017; 49: 17-27https://doi.org/10.1363/psrh.12015
- How far did US women travel for abortion services in 2008?.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2013; 22: 706-713https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2013.4283
- Out-of-state travel for abortion following implementation of Texas senate bill 8.Tex Policy Eval Proj. 2022;
- https://sites.utexas.edu/txpep/files/2022/03/TxPEP-out-of-state-SB8.pdf (accessed August 6, 2022).
- Racial/ethnic and educational inequities in restrictive abortion policy variation and adverse birth outcomes in the United States.BMC Health Serv Res. 2021; 21: 1139https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-021-07165-x
- Abortion surveillance — United States, 2019.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2021; 70: 1-29https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.ss7009a1
- Outcomes and safety of history-based screening for medication abortion.JAMA Intern Med. 2022; (Published online March 21)https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2022.0217
- Effectiveness, safety and acceptability of no-test medical abortion (termination of pregnancy) provided via telemedicine: a national cohort study.BJOG. 2021; 128: 1464-1474https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0528.16668
Society of Family Planning. Interim clinical recommendations: contraceptive provision when healthcare access is restricted due to pandemic response.; 2020. doi:10.46621/UYGR2287
- Association of telehealth reimbursement parity with contraceptive visits during the covid-19 pandemic.JAMA Netw Open. 2022; 5e226732https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.6732
- Farmworker justice, campesinos sin Fronteras, vista community clinic.Promise Telehealth. 2018;
- https://www.farmworkerjustice.org/resource/the-promise-of-telehealth-increasing-access-to-quality-healthcare-in-rural-america/ (accessed August 6, 2022).
- Transforming rural health care: high-quality, sustainable access to specialty care.Health Affairs Blog. 2015;
- https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/transforming-rural-health-care-high-quality-sustainable-access-to-specialty-care/ (accessed August 6, 2022).
- Expansion of a direct-to-patient telemedicine abortion service in the United States and experience during the COVID-19 pandemic.Contraception. 2021; 104: 43-48https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2021.03.019
- Contraceptive procedures in internal medicine clinics and resident education: a qualitative study of implementation methods, barriers, and facilitators.J Gen Intern Med. 2021; 36: 3346-3352https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-021-06832-3
- Residency training in long-acting reversible contraceptive methods.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1061https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.2101
- Training nurses in contraceptive implant procedures: implications for practice in Australia.Collegian. 2021; 28: 114-120https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2020.04.005
- Counseling and provision of long-acting reversible contraception in the US: National survey of nurse practitioners.Prev Med. 2013; 57: 883-888https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2013.10.005
- Complex family planning - demarginalizing abortion care requires uplifting primary care and non-CFP providers.Contraception. 2022; 105: 86https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2021.05.023
- https://rewirenewsgroup.com/article/2021/12/18/why-are-fellow-ob-gyns-making-my-job-as-an-abortion-provider-even-more-difficult/ (accessed April 22, 2022).
ACGME. ACGME program requirements for graduate medical education in complex family planning. https://www.acgme.org/globalassets/pfassets/programrequirements/236_complexfamilyplanning_2020-06-13.pdf; 2020 (accessed April 22, 2022).
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflicts of interest: None.
Funding: This study was supported by the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences of the National Institutes of Health under Award Number UL1 TR002319, KL2 TR002317, and TL1 TR002318. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.