Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Progestin-only hormonal birth control: pill and injection [Internet]. frequently asked questions: contraception; 2018. 〈https://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Progestin-Only-Hormonal-Birth-Control-Pill-and-Injection?IsMobileSet=false#take〉 (cited September 17, 2019).
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. US selected practice recommendations for contraceptive use [Internet]. 2019. 〈https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/contraception/mmwr/spr/progestin.html〉 (cited September 17, 2019).
- Progestin-only oral contraception: a comprehensive review.Contraception. 1994; 50: S1-195
- Cervical mucus and contraception: what we know and what we don’t.Contraception. 2017; 96: 310-321https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2017.07.168
- The pre-coital use of mini-dosage progestagens.J Reprod Fertil. 1968; Supplement 5: 167-172
United Nations. Consolidated list of products whose consumption and/or sale have been banned, withdrawn, severely restricted or not approved by governments; 1983.
- The clinical relevance of progestogens in hormonal contraception: present status and future developments.Oncotarget. 2018; 9: 34628-34638https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.26015
IARC Working Group on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans. Hormonal contraceptives, progestogens only [Internet]. Hormonal contraception and post-menopausal hormonal therapy. International Agency for Research on Cancer; 1999. 〈https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK396196/〉 (cited September 30, 2022).
- Effects of progestin-only contraceptives on the endometrium.Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2020; 13: 1103-1123https://doi.org/10.1080/17512433.2020.1821649
- Communication between female tract and sperm.Commun Integr Biol. 2009; 2: 82-85https://doi.org/10.4161/cib.7502
- Mechanism of action of a 0.075 mg norgestrel progestogen-only pill 2. Effect on cervical mucus and theoretical risk of conception.Contraception. 2022; 112: 43-47https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2022.03.016
- Contraceptive failure in the United States.Contraception. 2011; 83: 397-404https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2011.01.021
- A randomized study evaluating the effect of evidence-based information on clinician attitudes about moving oral contraceptives over the counter.J Women’s Health. 2021; 30: 1626-1636https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2020.8706
- Progestin-only pills for contraception.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 11CD007541https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD007541.pub3
- Effectiveness and efficacy rates of progestin-only pills: a comprehensive literature review.Contraception. 2022; 119109925https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2022.109925
- Progestin-only contraceptive pill use among women in the United States.Contraception. 2012; 86: 653-658https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2012.05.003
- Maintenance of ovulation inhibition with a new progestogen-only pill containing drospirenone after scheduled 24-h delays in pill intake.Contraception. 2016; 93: 303-309https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2015.12.007
- Maintenance of ovulation inhibition with the 75-microg desogestrel-only contraceptive pill (Cerazette) after scheduled 12-h delays in tablet intake.Contraception. 2005; 71: 8-13https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2004.07.016
- Increased exposure of norethindrone in HIV+ women treated with ritonavir-boosted atazanavir therapy.Contraception. 2015; 91: 71-75https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2014.08.009
- Metabolism of oral contraceptive drugs. The formation and disappearance of metabolites of norethindrone and mestranol after intravenous and oral administration.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1976; 126: 987-992https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9378(76)90689-X
- Further study of d-norgestrel for fertility control.Obstet Gynecol. 1975; 46: 308-310
- Effect of protease inhibitors on steady-state pharmacokinetics of oral norethindrone contraception in HIV-infected women.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014; 65: 72-77
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profiles of ethinylestradiol/norgestimate combination or norethindrone upon coadministration with elagolix 150 mg once daily in healthy premenopausal women.Clin Pharmacokinet. 2021; 60: 1003-1013https://doi.org/10.1007/s40262-021-00989-0
- Ovarian function during and after treatment with the new progestagen Org 30659.Fertil Steril. 2001; 76: 108-115https://doi.org/10.1016/S0015-0282(01)01824-6
- A randomised study comparing the effect on ovarian activity of a progestogen-only pill (POP) containing desogestrel and a new POP containing drospirenone in a 24/4 regimen.Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2015; 20: 419-427https://doi.org/10.3109/13625187.2015.1044082
- Effect of drospirenone on serum potassium and drospirenone pharmacokinetics in women with normal or impaired renal function.J Clin Pharmacol. 2006; 46: 867-875https://doi.org/10.1177/0091270006289973
- Pharmacokinetics of drospirenone and ethinylestradiol in Caucasian and Japanese women.Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2012; 17: 284-297https://doi.org/10.3109/13625187.2012.677076
- The effect of deliberate non-adherence to a norgestrel progestin-only pill: a randomized, crossover study.Contraception. 2023; 117: 1-6https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2022.09.002
- Contraceptive mechanism of microdose norethindrone.Obstet Gynecol. 1973; 41: 585-594
- Effect of continuous administration of small doses of chlormadinone acetate on the cervical mucus and postcoital test.Fertil Steril. 1969; 20: 572-580
- Half life.StatPearls. StatPearls Publishing, Treasure Island (FL)2022
- Relevance of half-life in drug design.J Med Chem. 2018; 61: 4273-4282https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.7b00969
- Pharmacokinetics of hormonal contraception in individuals with obesity: a review.Curr Obstet Gynecol Rep. 2020; 9: 72-78https://doi.org/10.1007/s13669-020-00284-y
Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency. First progestogen-only contraceptive pills to be available to purchase from pharmacies [Internet]. GOV.UK; 2021. 〈https://www.gov.uk/government/news/first-progesterone-only-contraceptive-pills-to-be-available-to-purchase-from-pharmacies〉 (cited March 3, 2022).