Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Facts are important: abortion is healthcare. 〈https://www.acog.org/advocacy/facts-are-important/abortion-is-healthcare〉 (accessed October 21, 2022).
- Population group abortion rates and lifetime incidence of abortion: United States, 2008-2014.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: 1904-1909https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2017.304042
- Situating stigma in stratified reproduction: abortion stigma and miscarriage stigma as barriers to reproductive healthcare.Sex Reprod Healthc. 2016; 10: 62-69https://doi.org/10.1016/j.srhc.2016.10.008
- Dynamics of stigma in abortion work: findings from a pilot study of the Providers Share Workshop.Soc Sci Med. 2011; 73: 1062-1070https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2011.07.004
- Conceptualising abortion stigma.Cult Health Sex. 2009; 11: 625-639https://doi.org/10.1080/13691050902842741
- "I'm not that type of person": managing the stigma of having an abortion.Deviant Behav. 2013; 34: 973-990https://doi.org/10.1080/01639625.2013.800423
- Impact of a mental health curriculum on knowledge and stigma among high school students: a randomized controlled trial.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2016; 55: 383-391https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2016.02.018
- Public attitudes toward depression and help-seeking: impact of the OSPI-Europe depression awareness campaign in four European regions.J Affect Disord. 2017; 217: 252-259https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2017.04.006
- Can stories reduce abortion stigma? Findings from a longitudinal cohort study.Cult Health Sex. 2018; 20: 335-350https://doi.org/10.1080/13691058.2017.1346202
- The impact of first-person abortion stories on community-level abortion stigma: a randomized trial.Women's Health Issues. 2022; 32: 578-585https://doi.org/10.1016/j.whi.2022.06.006
- Belief in a just world: research progress over the past decade.Personal Individ Differ. 2003; 34: 795-817
- The belief in a just world: a fundamental delusion.Plenum Press, New York1980
- Looking ahead through lenses of justice: the relevance of just-world beliefs to intentions and confidence in the future.Br J Soc Psychol. 2007; 46: 649-666https://doi.org/10.1348/014466606X166220
- Experimental research on just-world theory: problems, developments, and future challenges.Psychol Bull. 2005; 131: 128-167https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.131.1.128
- Public perspectives on expanding naloxone access to reverse opioid overdoses.Subst Use Misuse. 2016; 51: 1771-1780https://doi.org/10.1080/10826084.2016.1197267
- The role of political ideology in mediating judgments of blame in rape victims and their assailants: a test of the just world, personal responsibility, and legitimization hypotheses.Personal Soc Psychol Bull. 2000; 26: 853-863https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167200269010
- Just world beliefs, causal beliefs, and acquaintance: associations with stigma toward eating disorders and obesity.Personal Individ Differ. 2011; 51: 618-622https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2011.05.029
- The average laboratory samples a population of 7,300 Amazon Mechanical Turk workers.Judgm Decis Mak. 2015; 10: 479-491https://doi.org/10.5255/UKDA-SN-852951
- Separate but equal? A comparison of participants and data gathered via Amazon’s Mturk, social media, and face-to-face behavioral testing.Comput Human Behav. 2013; 29: 2156-2160https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2013.05.009
- Attentive Turkers: Mturk participants perform better on online attention checks than do subject pool participants.Behav Res Methods. 2016; 48: 400-407https://doi.org/10.3758/s13428-015-0578-z
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010
- The REDCap consortium: Building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95103208https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2019.103208
- The construction and preliminary validation of a global belief in a just world scale and the exploratory analysis of the multidimensional belief in a just world scale.Personal Individ Differ. 1991; 12: 1171-1178https://doi.org/10.1016/0191-8869(91)90081-L
- And justice for all: revisiting the Global Belief in a Just World Scale.Personal Individ Differ. 2015; 78: 68-76https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2015.01.031
- The belief in a just world: an examination of reliability estimates cross three measures.J Personal Assess. 2008; 90: 399-401https://doi.org/10.1080/00223890802108238
- Cultural context and the relationship between autistic traits and belief in a just world.Personal Individ Differ. 2021; 173110642https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2021.110642
- Development and psychometric properties of the Evasive Attitudes of Sexual Orientation Scale (EASOS).Psychol Sex Orientat Gend Divers. 2018; 5: 44-56https://doi.org/10.1037/sgd0000256
- Constructing a validated scale to measure community-level abortion stigma in Mexico.Contraception. 2016; 93: 421-431https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2016.01.013
- Characterizing community-level abortion stigma in the United States.Contraception. 2021; 104: 305-313https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2021.03.021
- Pregnancy outcomes after exposure to crisis pregnancy centers among an abortion-seeking sample recruited online.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0255152https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0255152
- A meta-analytic review of the relationship between gender and belief in a just world.J Soc Behav Pers. 1996; 11: 141-148
- Just world beliefs moderate the relationship of pain intensity and disability with psychological distress in chronic pain support group members.Eur J Pain. 2010; 14: 71-76https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpain.2008.11.016
- Beliefs in justice and faith in people: just world, religiosity and interpersonal trust.Personal Individ Differ. 2002; 32: 375-382https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(00)00224-5
- Status, religion, and the "belief in a just world": comparing African Americans, Latinos, and Whites.SOC Sci Q. 2000; 81: 325-343
- The just world belief in twelve cultures.J Soc Psychol. 1991; 133: 317-329https://doi.org/10.1080/00224545.1993.9712149
United States Census Bureau. Race and ethnicity in the United States: 2010 census and 2020 census. 〈https://www.census.gov/library/visualizations/interactive/race-and-ethnicity-in-the-united-state-2010-and-2020-census.html〉 (accessed December 20, 2022).
United States Census Bureau. State population totals and components of change: 2010–2019. 〈https://www.census.gov/data/tables/time-series/demo/popest/2010s-state-total.html〉 (accessed July 3, 2022).
- The fight against stigma: an overview of stigma-reduction strategies and interventions.Psychol Health Med. 2006; 11: 353-363https://doi.org/10.1080/13548500600595327
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
☆Funding: This work was supported by Ola Hawaii of the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities, a component of the National Institute of Health (Grant # U54MD007601-34). This funding agency did not influence the final data interpretation or the resulting paper. This publication is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not represent the official view of these agencies.
☆☆Conflicts of interest: The authors declare that they have no known competing financial interests or personal relationships that could have appeared to influence the work reported in this article.