Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Contraception
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Stats of the State—teen birth rates; 2021. 〈https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/teen-births/teenbirths.htm〉 (accessed January 12, 2023).
Texas Institute for Child & Family Wellbeing. Sexual health of foster youth: needs assessment findings final report; 2021. 〈https://txicfw.socialwork.utexas.edu/sexual-health-of-foster-youth-needs-assessment-findings-final-report/〉 (accessed January 12, 2023].
- Pregnancy and parenting among youth transitioning from foster care: a mixed methods study.Child Youth Care Forum. 2021; 50: 167-197https://doi.org/10.1007/s10566-020-09567-0
- Prevalence of sexually transmitted infections among adolescents entering Child Protective Services.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2015; 28: 324-326https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2014.09.011
- Practice Bulletin No. 186: long-acting reversible contraception: implants and intrauterine devices.. 2017; 130: e251-e269https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000002400
- Reproductive justice: an introduction.Oakland, California2017
- Current contraceptive status among women aged 15-49: United States, 2017-2019.NCHS Data Brief. 2020; 388: 1-8
- Addressing long-acting reversible contraception access, bias, and coercion: Supporting adolescent and young adult reproductive autonomy.Curr Opin Pediatr. 2021; 33: 345-353https://doi.org/10.1097/MOP.0000000000001008
- Barriers to contraceptive access after health care reform: experiences of young adults in Massachusetts.Womens Health Issues. 2015; 25: 91-96https://doi.org/10.1016/j.whi.2014.11.002
- The caregiver as gatekeeper for accessing health care for children in foster care: a qualitative study of kinship and unrelated caregivers.Child Youth Serv Rev. 2012; 34: 2123-2130https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2012.07.009
- Pediatricians' attitudes and beliefs about long-acting reversible contraceptives influence counseling.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2017; 30: 47-52https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2016.09.001
- Communicating with children and families: from everyday interactions to skill in conveying distressing information.Am Acad Pediatr. 2008; 121: e1441-e1460https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2008-0565
Guttmacher Institute. State laws and policies; 2023. 〈https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/laws-policies〉 (accessed January 12, 2023).
- 19. Confidential contraception protections for adolescents in foster care in Texas.J Adolesc Health. 2021; 68https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2020.12.027
2 Texas Family Code, Sect. 32.001; 2013.
Center for Reproductive Rights. Parental consent and notice for contraceptives threatens teen health and constitutional rights; 2006. 〈https://reproductiverights.org/parental-consent-and-notice-for-contraceptives-threatens-teen-health-and-constitutional-rights/〉 (accessed January 12, 2023).
- Sexual health and communication between foster youth and their caregivers.Acad Pediatr. 2022; : S1876-S2859https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2022.09.019
- Sample sizes for saturation in qualitative research: a systematic review of empirical tests.Soc Sci Med. 2022; 292114523https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2021.114523
- Qualitative data analysis for health services research: developing taxonomy, themes, and theory.Health Serv Res. 2007; 42: 1758-1772https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2006.00684.x
- Analyzing patient participation in medical encounters.Health Commun. 2001; 13: 61-73https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327027HC1301_06
- Constructing qualitatively derived theory: concept construction and concept typologies.Qual Health Res. 2004; 14: 1387-1395https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732304269676
- Answering the call for a standard reliability measure for coding data.Commun Methods Meas. 2007; 1: 77-89https://doi.org/10.1080/19312450709336664
- On the value and meaning of trauma-informed practice: honoring safety, complexity, and relationship.Smith Coll Stud Soc. 2018; 88: 115-134https://doi.org/10.1080/00377317.2018.1438006
- Social justice education through trauma-informed teaching.Middle Sch J. 2018; 49: 15-23https://doi.org/10.1080/00940771.2018.1488470
- In search of connection: the foster youth and caregiver relationship.Child Youth Serv Rev. 2014; 42: 110-117https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2014.04.008
- Providing sex and relationships education for looked-after children: a qualitative exploration of how personal and institutional factors promote or limit the experience of role ambiguity, conflict and overload among caregivers.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e025075https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2018-025075
- Barriers to long-acting reversible contraceptive uptake among homeless young women.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2016; 29: 104-110https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2015.07.003
- Access barriers to long-acting reversible contraceptives for adolescents.J Adolesc Health. 2016; 59: 248-253https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2016.03.039
- Why adolescent medicine?.JAMA Pediatr. 2020; 174: 1023-1024https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2020.3396
- What influences adolescents' contraceptive decision-making? A meta-ethnography.J Pediatr Nurs. 2014; 29: 614-632https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2014.05.001
- "My body, whose choice?" A call to advance reproductive justice in pediatric training.Pediatrics. 2022; 150https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2021-054936
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
☆Conflicts of interest: None.
☆☆Funding: This work was supported by the Children’s Health Clinical Research Advisory Committee (CCRAC) Award, an NIH K23 HD097291 Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development Award, and the UT FOCUS award.